Able people on benefits should help improve community surroundings..

Should people on benefits help maintain community surroundings?  

65 members have voted

1. 1. Should people on benefits help maintain community surroundings?

• Yes with training and tools provided by the council
    • No
    • Maybe
    • No - but if enforced, I will start looking for employement.

Why does anyone have a problem with unemployed people working for thier benefits. It gives them experience and skills to put on a CV or do they prefer to sit on their rear ends watching the tele.

The fact is, if there is work for them to do, there is a job. A job they could do for a real wage, rather than their benefits, a real job not work experience, which would look better on their CV, and of course stopping them being unemployed :)

Why does anyone have a problem with unemployed people working for thier benefits. It gives them experience and skills to put on a CV or do they prefer to sit on their rear ends watching the tele.

Its not a problem working for their benefits, its about exploitation. its a slippery slope. Get them to clean the streets, what happens to all the street cleaners then they get dumped onto the social. Then the bin men, then the gardeners, etc etc etc.

Im sure a lot of people agree they should be contributing but not at the expense of themselves being exploited or others losing their jobs.

This is menial jobs not proper employment, picking up litter isn't something worthwhile to put on a cv.

It's a punishment which I don't like, we should be working on improving the economy not making unemployed people scapegoats.

---------- Post added 04-01-2013 at 16:52 ----------

Here's a novel concept: why doesn't the government invest in making people more employable and creating proper jobs in the economy? just a thought. I know wild huh, maybe we should just put the unemployed in stocks to throw rotten fruit at instead, that works. Not.

People down on their luck should not be used as cheap / free labor, this will only lead to the exploitation of good hard working people. The truth is there are more people than jobs now.

If you want to look at people to exploit for cheap labor then why not look at the 80,000+ scumbags in our prison system?

---------- Post added 04-01-2013 at 16:53 ----------

This is menial jobs not proper employment, picking up litter isn't something worthwhile to put on a cv.

It's a punishment which I don't like, we should be working on improving the economy not making unemployed people scapegoats.

---------- Post added 04-01-2013 at 16:52 ----------

Here's a novel concept: why doesn't the government invest in making people more employable and creating proper jobs in the economy? just a thought. I know wild huh, maybe we should just put the unemployed in stocks to throw rotten fruit at instead, that works. Not.

What do you call a proper job? Sitting behind a desk pretending to be doing something constructive?

Saying all that, if proper training was made available which lead to proper jobs I'd back that scheme.

Somehow I don't think that the poll is saying that though.

---------- Post added 04-01-2013 at 16:55 ----------

People down on their luck should not be used as cheap / free labor, this will only lead to the exploitation of good hard working people. The truth is there are more people than jobs now.

If you want to look at people to exploit for cheap labor then why not look at the 80,000+ scumbags in our prison system?

What do you call a proper job? Sitting behind a desk pretending to be doing something constructive?

I agree wholeheartedly. There's thousands in prison bored and costing the tax payer millions and not earning there keep.

---------- Post added 04-01-2013 at 16:57 ----------

If it's properly paid and people are developing and something of value is added to the economy then yes.

Sort of catch 22 though isn't it. People on the dole who are doing unpaid work as suggested by the OP aren't going to have the time and energy to look for work ergo they stay unemployed...

I doubt it would be full time work they had them doing though, maybe 10 hours a week for a limited length of time, like 8 weeks or something before trading them for the next person.

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

I am assuming then that SheffDon would kindly oblige with all those tasks then if he is not working and on benefits?? Hmm Im sure!

What most conservatives et al fail to realise is that punishing people on benefits never gets people back to work. It's incentives people need and proper support. Also how does anyone know that the person who is able bodied and on benefits is not a full time carer for a partner or parent etc.

Archived