Able people on benefits should help improve community surroundings..

Should people on benefits help maintain community surroundings?  

65 members have voted

1. 1. Should people on benefits help maintain community surroundings?

• Yes with training and tools provided by the council
    • No
    • Maybe
    • No - but if enforced, I will start looking for employement.

What do you call a proper job? Sitting behind a desk pretending to be doing something constructive?

Just out of interest, what's your definition of a proper job, I would have thought that no matter what anyone does they class it as proper.

---------- Post added 04-01-2013 at 18:31 ----------

No sorry, I disagree with you. The idea is that while they are on benefits, they help improve their own community. Hopefully it will encourage them to look for proper employment. I am not saying that all people that are on benefits are not seeking for employment, but there are quite a few that now just live off the social and do not give a toss about work.

Yes there are, but by the same token there are some who work, and get away with "tossing it off" on a daily basis and doing no work.

I think that he means, a job where you are employed and pay national insurance, tax so that the country can recover from these difficult times. Also, the government should clamp down on self employed who abuse the tax system.

I think that he means, a job where you are employed and pay national insurance, tax so that the country can recover from these difficult times. Also, the government should clamp down on self employed who abuse the tax system.

Don't it for 40 years & country still in a mess :hihi:

The problem is those who are not actually trying to look for work and are happy to sit back and do nothing because they are relatively comfortable.

The government needs to be stricter with people who are not really looking for work instead of just picking on the easy targets.

During my brief period of unemployment a few years ago I had the misfortune of dealing with one of these power mad job centre "advisers" who was so negative and horrible, she was genuinely a disgusting human being.

There was a job listed in the past 2 weeks which she said I should have applied for (despite me having applied for various other jobs and supplying proof). I explained why that job was not suitable, but she determined to punish me.

So she "referred me to a decision maker" based on this issue who decided to not pay my JSA for 2 weeks as punishment for this sin of not agreeing with my "adviser".

This caused me some huge problems for those 2 weeks, I literally went without food. If I ever saw that woman I would happily punch her in her old bitter, twisted face.

Totally agree. A mate of mine worked for the job center for 8 years, the majority of people using it were decent people actively looking for work, however a significant minority were wasters with no intention of work. All we need to do is stop paying them money and the waster problem is solved. They can buck up their ideas or starve. There seem to be a number of new ideas coming in that will achieve this.

What is the view of members on able people who are claiming benefits and not working to help maintain the community surroundings such as?

Litter picking,

Removing Graffiti,

Clearing leaves,

Snow clearing etc.

Yep. It’s a better idea than giving them free gym membership.

It’s not slave labour or free labour if they are assessed as they are now to work out what benefits they need, all their benefits should then be totted up to work out the total amount they receive and then divide it my the minimum wage to work out the hours they are required to work.

It would cut claimants working and fiddling the system,

The country would look much nicer,

Unemployment would fall because claimant would have more motivation to find job.

Totally agree. A mate of mine worked for the job center for 8 years, the majority of people using it were decent people actively looking for work, however a significant minority were wasters with no intention of work. All we need to do is stop paying them money and the waster problem is solved. They can buck up their ideas or starve. There seem to be a number of new ideas coming in that will achieve this.

True, the majority are decent but the minority let the system down, where it falls down is with sanctions and such. They really need to be harsher, people will also notice come March when Crisis Loans & Community Care Grants finish.

Just on the news and it sounds like Labour are jumping on this band wagon, not that I believe anything Balls ever says.

Anyone on benefits for more than two years will be offered a minimum wage job and if they turn it down they will lose all their benefits, good idea but they simply can’t be trusted.

Just on the news and it sounds like Labour are jumping on this band wagon, not that I believe anything Balls ever says.

Anyone on benefits for more than two years will be offered a minimum wage job and if they turn it down they will lose all their benefits, good idea but they simply can’t be trusted.

I don't think they should be "offered" they should just be "given" and taken off benefits.

No sorry, I disagree with you. The idea is that while they are on benefits, they help improve their own community. Hopefully it will encourage them to look for proper employment. I am not saying that all people that are on benefits are not seeking for employment, but there are quite a few that now just live off the social and do not give a toss about work.

Utter, unadulterated rubbish! You are being lied to and led by the nose by a pack of liars in parliament who are engaged in a concerted campaign to demonise the unemployed. Wakey Wakey!

It's not rubbish, I have seen it with my own eye's

Utter, unadulterated rubbish! You are being lied to and led by the nose by a pack of liars in parliament who are engaged in a concerted campaign to demonise the unemployed. Wakey Wakey!

Archived