A star outside the Town Hall

Talented violinist, was Charlie - known as the poor mans Paganini. Although he was know to carry other than a violin in the case.

Good on ya!

Unfortunately , as some have suggested , that accolade will go to those who have made it on the backs of others and not on their own merits , as is usually the case.

Having said that . There are some who have genuinely contributed a great deal to the city -including the lowly .

Let us hope that common sense and sobriety prevails and less of the back scratching .

Good on ya!

Unfortunately , as some have suggested , that accolade will go to those who have made it on the backs of others and not on their own merits , as is usually the case.

Having said that . There are some who have genuinely contributed a great deal to the city -including the lowly .

Let us hope that common sense and sobriety prevails and less of the back scratching .

Yes it would be good to see a furnace hand or a fettler,grinder, buffer,postperson, roadsweeper, nurse, architect, miner,or even a bricki get the star treatment.

As you say lets hope that the troffers and jobs for the boys mob don't start polishing their stars outside the Town Hall.

• 1 year later...

Due to another thread . why not Maurice Newton musical director at the old Empire who conducted every musical star that ever came to Sheffield when seeing them live was the only way.

Maurice was also a First World War hero so come on not all Sheffield stars have been so in the last fifty years.

A star for Maurice,.

My nomination would be John Warhurst the Sheffield road walker who won a commonwealth games gold in 1974 and represented Britain in the olympics in 1972.

If that level of achievement is worthy of a star, and I'm not saying it isn't, then Jill Slattery has got to have one. Gold in 1966 Commonwealth Games and competed in 1964 and 1968 Olympics.

If that level of achievement is worthy of a star, and I'm not saying it isn't, then Jill Slattery has got to have one. Gold in 1966 Commonwealth Games and competed in 1964 and 1968 Olympics.

Got to agree with you and they did it all without sponsorship.

Is their a list anywhere of all the people who have been honoured with a star, I have often wondered and did not want to cause an obstruction by standing around with my head down outside the Town Hall although many people walk around the city with their head down these days.