Parking ticket from Meadowhall

ammas

Could you explain how making it v. expensive to park for 3 hours (for example) is a penalty clause..genuine question..

The example stated was parking for free for 2 hours and then if you go over being charged £80 for the privilege. This is what makes it a penalty clause as its purpose is to coerce a party to comply with the 2 hour limit. For the breach to be enforceable the charge must be a genuine pre-estimate of damages, which in the case of a free car park is exactly £0.

There is oodles and oodles of case law to support this. An overview here

A clause which stipulates that a sum certain in money must be paid upon one or a series of defaults by one of the parties is known as a liquidated damages clause and will be enforceable as long as it is a “genuine pre-estimate” of damages and is not designed to terrorise3 the defaulting party into performance... Such a clause will be unenforceable to the extent that it is “extravagant or unconscionable” and out of all proportion to the loss;4 and when the purpose of the clause is to coerce a party to comply and not to redress a breach; and thus operates in terrorem, even though there might not be a “literal stipulation that the payment is in terrorem”

jb

ETA: A car park operator can of course charge whatever they like on an hour by our basis (or indeed minute by minute), say £20 per hour, which would be enforceable.

The example stated was parking for free for 2 hours and then if you go over being charged £80 for the privilege. This is what makes it a penalty clause as its purpose is to coerce a party to comply with the 2 hour limit. For the breach to be enforceable the charge must be a genuine pre-estimate of damages, which in the case of a free car park is exactly £0.

jb

ETA: A car park operator can of course charge whatever they like on an hour by our basis (or indeed minute by minute), say £20 per hour, which would be enforceable.

OK, add-on question... is it legal/whatever for the car park near the station to give you 30mins free parking and then to charge after that? I'm struggling to see the difference ... :help:

Its Quite clear . Which part of the court ruling i posted dont you understand. ?

I`m not asking about the court ruling - I have just bought a bomb site in town, are you seriously saying I cannot charge parking?

---------- Post added 10-01-2013 at 16:11 ----------

No you wouldn't as the charge is clearly penal in nature.

jb

no its not, I can charge what I like for parking on my land, same as I could charge what I like for a carpet if I sold carpets for a living.

---------- Post added 10-01-2013 at 16:14 ----------

jb

it`s not a penalty I choose to give you the first two hours free as its not worth my while to collect them, I then charge the next 20 hours at a fixed price of £80.00.

see above

OK, add-on question... is it legal/whatever for the car park near the station to give you 30mins free parking and then to charge after that? I'm struggling to see the difference ... :help:

Are the sums specified in terrorem (ie to punish or deter parking over 30min)? Or are they offered in consideration of you staying longer and paying?

jb

I`m not asking about the court ruling - I have just bought a bomb site in town, are you seriously saying I cannot charge parking?

---------- Post added 10-01-2013 at 16:11 ----------

no its not, I can charge what I like for parking on my land, same as I could charge what I like for a carpet if I sold carpets for a living.

---------- Post added 10-01-2013 at 16:14 ----------

it`s not a penalty I choose to give you the first two hours free as its not worth my while to collect them, I then charge the next 20 hours at a fixed price of £80.00.

see above

Move the goal posts much?

This is your original post

no, he meant invoices - for the sake of this thread imagine there are clear signs 6ft high on entry and around the car park saying parking free for 2hrs - £80.00 if you stay longer than that.

are you saying I as the actual landowner cannot enforce that charge?

You see the difference?

jb

Archived