The Daily Mail's agenda against Jack Whitehall

:D:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d

---------- Post added 08-01-2013 at 00:20 ----------

people capable of critical thinking don't habitually read the DM (or attempt to justify its copy). just saying..

I don't habitually read it,but i often look at the front page headlines.If a celebrity i recognise is mentioned i ignore that of course because trivial gossip in popular culture doesn't interest me.

Just saying..;)

Some might ask 'anyone else getting sick to death of the witch hunt against the Daily Mail?'

It's all a question of personal taste in the end. I don't happen to like the kind of 'comedy' that seems to prevail these days, so I never watch their kind of show.

Oh for the days of the likes of the two Ronnies, Morecambe and Wise etc. They knew how to entertain without resorting to filthy language and insulting jokes against sometimes vulnerable people.

I agree, I just dont get it with these new style "comedians". Les Dawson must be turning in his grave

Watch "Blackpool: Big Night Out" on iPlayer.

Lots of sexual innuendo from George Formby and Morecambe and Wise, and was probably risqué and close to the edge in their day.

Sexual innuendo isn't the same as the blatant mockery that names individuals.Whats funny about making a joke about someone who has learning difficulties due to oxygen deprivation at birth(i'm thinking of Susan Boyle) who inspite of so many obstacles in her life, overcame them to acchieve so much,yet has been the object of certain comedians who will stoop so low to get a few cheap laughs.

I don't know how some of them they get away with it to be honest,but then Bernard Manning got away with telling racist jokes for years on TV before his jokes were rendered unacceptable.

Going on a prime time television show with a deliberately patronising set up film being paraded all over national television, churning yourself through the Cowell publicity machine setting yourself up and exposing all warts and pimples of your personal life all over the worlds newspapers and television gossip rags, making fun of yourself alongside stand up comedians and spoof music segments and videos.....

Using your own example the woman exposed herself. She exposed her own failures and faults. She brought her life warts and all into the public circus. Therefore makes her a legitimate target for (albeit tasteless) satire and comedians.

You cannot choose to bring yourself into public domain and then get upset when SOME people choose to mock/riddicle/criticise you.

You have a right to get offended. You even have a right to put YOUR complaint to the relevant authorities.

However, freedom of speech still exists in this country. Just because YOU find something tasteless, offensive, harsh does not mean someone else doesn't find it funny.

Just look back a few years. Look at what these days is classed as "cult" "classic" "legend" comedy and yet....how scathing, offensive, aggressive, targetted it was. Monty Python, Comic Strip, Young Ones and slightly more recently The Day Today and Monkey Dust. Paedophilia, death, disability, homosexuality, racism, sexism, social class, governments, income, illness,regional sterotypes ..... all these and more have all been covered satired and laughed at.

What kind of society would we really have if every single possible "offensive" thing was banned within a split second.

Just imagine if people, for example, took every Daily Mail campaign literally and actioned it.

Jesus tonight.... makes me sick just thinking about it.

Comment from Jerome Taylor in The Independent:

It might seem like a laugh but the Daily Mail’s latest attack on comedy is dangerous.

Now you might not find Ross or Boyle – or the Mail’s latest bête noire Jack Whitehall – funny. You might think they’re deeply offensive. But the day we start to allow the populist, socially conservative wings of our national press decide what a comedian cannot say is a very dark day indeed.

During the run up to the publication of the Leveson Inquiry, the Mail was one of the papers shouting loudest (in my opinion rightly) about the chilling effect statutory regulation of the press might have on free speech. Yet comedians, it seems, are fair game for censors.

Archived