Mortgage question

My current mortgage deal is coming to an end in the next few months but my circumstances have changed since I took the original deal out. I'm now earning less after been made redundant but I'm in secure employment. I now live with my partner and we have a baby due in the next month.

So...

My partner got made redundant last month (I know) but is getting smp from her employer. As the mortgage will just be going on my income will the mortgage company take in to account the other income to the house from smp, child benefit that she will be getting?

My current mortgage deal is coming to an end in the next few months but my circumstances have changed since I took the original deal out. I'm now earning less after been made redundant but I'm in secure employment. I now live with my partner and we have a baby due in the next month.

So...

My partner got made redundant last month (I know) but is getting smp from her employer. As the mortgage will just be going on my income will the mortgage company take in to account the other income to the house from smp, child benefit that she will be getting?

Is the mortgage going in your name alone, in which case they will only take your income into account, or will it be in joint names, when they might consider your partners income. However, I do know many institutions won't include SMP as it will only continue for a maximum of 12 months.

Well I bought the house on my own 2 years ago but going forward it doesn't matter, it's just about getting the best mortgage we can. My partner will be returning to work around August/September when We can find a new job

Give your lender a call and ask them what they can offer you. At worst, you will end up on SVR. At best, they might offer you a new deal, without checking your circumstances.

If they do decide to explore your circumstances, you might want to talk to them about either extending the loan or going interest only for a year or two. That will give you time to sort out jobs, babies etc.

Archived