Oldest building in grimesthorpe

yatesace

glad to see someone's still got a sense of humour:D:D:D

:hihi:They are far too stiff lipped about Grimesthorpe and I`ve never lost my sense of humour I don't even bother to argue with them I just smooth there fevered brow and utter there ,there, there :hihi::hihi:I know far too much about people from that area :hihi::hihi:

---------- Post added 10-01-2013 at 12:19 ----------

Is it mentioned in the domesday book at all?

Grimesthorpe

Grimesthorpe grid reference SK371901 is a suburb in north east Sheffield, lying west of Brightside and north east of Pitsmoor.

The settlement originated in the Dark Ages as a farmstead, passing from Grimshaw to Ulfae, the De Buslis, the De Lovetots and then the Dukes of Norfolk.[2] A guide of 1840 describes the appearance of the village as "exceedingly striking, and partakes in some degree of the grotesque", with it main feature being the Grimesthorpe Grinding Wheel Company. The hills around the village had already been extensively quarried.[3]

Grimesthorpe lies below Wincobank hill, and in the nineteenth century was surrounded by woods, which were popular places for walking. The area became somewhat run down in the twentieth century. A nineteenth century village pump survives in the suburb

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burngreave_(ward)#Grimesthorpe

Archived