Train sheds millhouses

Shogun

My Granddad used to work at a train repair shed off archer road millhouses, I can just remember the crumbling old sheds as a lad apparently it was a massive place also used as a marshaling yard as well, he worked there for most of his life does anyone know anything about this fascinating place that is now where the tesco is.

Can well remember going in on several occasions train spotting. We used to get in by going down a narrow path from the bottom of Archer Road. Many times we were told (in no uncertain terms) to leave the Depot. since we hadn't applied for a special pass from British Rail. The water used to refill the engine boilers came down to Millhouses in a culvert by the side of the track all the way from Totley tunnel.

The building was then converted into a warehouse by the Consolidated Pneumatic Tool Co. who bought out Frank Guylee who had the factory nearby where they made Jacob's chucks. It was then demolished to make way for Tesco.

Can well remember going in on several occasions train spotting. We used to get in by going down a narrow path from the bottom of Archer Road. Many times we were told (in no uncertain terms) to leave the Depot. since we hadn't applied for a special pass from British Rail. The water used to refill the engine boilers came down to Millhouses in a culvert by the side of the track all the way from Totley tunnel.

The building was then converted into a warehouse by the Consolidated Pneumatic Tool Co. who bought out Frank Guylee who had the factory nearby where they made Jacob's chucks. It was then demolished to make way for Tesco.

Can you remember the war time plane spotters building that was on top of the hill there what a fantastic den that made for us kids at the time.

The run down derelict ruins of a former workplace of mine (Jacobs Manufacturing) are still there, that is where the railway sheds were I believe and not the land where Tesco was built.

A quick google search will get you these images:

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=Millhouses+railway+sheds&hl=en&tbo=u&rls=com.microsoft:en-gb:IE-Address&tbm=isch&source=univ&sa=X&ei=XvnpULP9MMTC0QWSioCIAw&ved=0CEYQsAQ&biw=1366&bih=632

The run down derelict ruins of a former workplace of mine (Jacobs Manufacturing) are still there, that is where the railway sheds were I believe and not the land where Tesco was built.

your right the engine sheds became the number five shop of frank guylees and subsequently jacobs...i worked on the sheds when they were converted...had a look on google earth ,cant believe how its changed...last thing i remember working there was fixing the glass on the covered way from troutbeck road up to the sheds..i remember a man called darbyshire who was top manager or owner there

Edited by mort
fixed quotes

Oh the nostalgia. Finish school (King Ted's) and go by bus to Archer Road. Go down the steps and along the cinder path, keeping an eye open for the "Thames-Clyde Express", the "Waverley" etc. that might pass by. Sneak into the shed and dart between the locos. If it was a Tuesday or Thursday the "night sleeper" loco would be there - always a 66A Glasgow (Polmadie) loco and usually a rare "Clan". Avoiding the foreman, walk up past the coaling depot to "Millhouses & Ecclesall" station, go up the steps to the ticket office beside the bridge and buy a 3d ticket to Sheffield Midland. An ex-LMS tank engine would come clanking into Platform 1 from the Hope Valley line with a rake of old ex-London suburban coaches. The train would stop at Heeley (look out for any shunters in the carriage sidings) and get you to Sheffield Midland ready to catch the bus home. It all seems a world away now - this would be 1960-61; the shed closed on 1 January 1962. Here is the Wikipedia article.

Edited by hillsbro

Yes I can remember Granddad walking up the steps at the end of Buttermer road he would walk over archer road and down the path near the bridge.

thats right .walk down the steps then about a hundred yards along the path and on your right the engine sheds. happy times working there as apprentice with some great workmates now sadly all died...

thats right .walk down the steps then about a hundred yards along the path and on your right the engine sheds. happy times working there as apprentice with some great workmates now sadly all died...

My granddad was called Harry Key

your right the engine sheds became the number five shop of frank guylees and subsequently jacobs...i worked on the sheds when they were converted...had a look on google earth ,cant believe how its changed...last thing i remember working there was fixing the glass on the covered way from troutbeck road up to the sheds..i remember a man called darbyshire who was top manager or owner there

Yes Mr Darbyshire had moved on when I started there in the late 80s, I worked there until it closed in 2002. The remains are still there and became a well known place for graffiti artists, I believe no one has bought the land yet.