Silversmiths restaurant

billigoat

I have been trying to book a table for Wednesday 9th Jan, which is my birthday, but keep getting a recorded message saying they're closed for christmas and will re-open on the 4th.... which isn't that encouraging. Has anyone got any info? Or a recommendation for an alternative place to eat for a nice meal for two?

I was taken there by my lass last Fri - it was open! She had some difficulties getting hold of them too but sent an email and got hold of them on the phone in the end as well. We thought the food was very good and had a good time. We though the food was of a similar quality to the Milestone restaurant.

P.S. If you go to Silversmiths you'll probably only need one side dish per person with your main meal.

we`ve been to silversmiths before,mainly because they have gluten free options,food is very good,but when we tried to book near christmas they wouldn`t accept a booking for 2 people so they can have large groups instead.now that christmas is over they will be glad to take any bookings,but we will never go again.

I tried booking over the phone ages ago but all I got was an answerphone message so we just poped down on the offchance. It was really good. What prompted us was the Gordon Ramsey programme about it ages ago.

I just think table booking there is a bit shody but the food was first class.

We've been twice with different groups of friends and decided not to bother anymore.

The main reason being they are so terribly disorganised it actually impacts on the enjoyment of the meal.

Unless we were unlucky on both occasions, the portions were very small - so not quite sure about the recommendation to share side dishes.

It's a shame because some of the food we had there was good - but even in Sheffield there are other options that provide good food without having to be wound up by incompetent customer service.

The fact they rarely answer the phone tells you everything really.

We've been twice with different groups of friends and decided not to bother anymore.

The main reason being they are so terribly disorganised it actually impacts on the enjoyment of the meal.

Unless we were unlucky on both occasions, the portions were very small - so not quite sure about the recommendation to share side dishes.

It's a shame because some of the food we had there was good - but even in Sheffield there are other options that provide good food without having to be wound up by incompetent customer service.

The fact they rarely answer the phone tells you everything really.

tells me the place is full for the foreseeable future - or shut down.

tells me the place is full for the foreseeable future - or shut down.

I think the more likely explanation is that there's no-one there during the day, although I have phoned during dining hours and still failed to get through.

They are just a strange bunch imo. We ordered wine and they brought a bottle to the table which was already opened and had some wine missing from it. How the hell could they not have noticed that? And anyhow, what decent restaurant brings wine that has already been opened to the table?

We had one booking for 8pm (so not late) but they had already run out of some of the main dishes, leaving us with not much choice. On another occasion they even ran out of veg. Last time we weren't the only ones in there complaining about the poor customer service. The poor manager was being run from table to table to pacify dissatisfied diners.

Don't get me wrong, they are really good at apologising. Excellent at it. They've got it off to a fine art - obviously had a lot of practice - and they are charming and disarming with it. But they just don't seem to learn anything from it. That's what gets me about the place. It's ok to screw up and learn from it - but they don't seem to. They just keep getting it wrong time and time again.

It's almost comical - a bit like Fawlty Towers - only not so funny when you are paying for it.

I said we've been twice - my other half reminded me it was three times - and the same each time. Variable food - mostly good to be fair - but small portions, (sides are extra), always running out of stuff and service bordering on the bizarre.

Can do better imo.

Archived