Full health check

I'm wondering if anyone knows of a clinic/somewhere that I could have an MOT done? I want to find out the health of my heart and other organs. Obviously, if it's possible to have a full health check, this would mean going private but my GP seems uninterested in the fact that certain serious health problems run in my family. My health is not good and I'm fed up with being fobbed off with "It's probably this ... it's probably that".

Go talk to your doctor.

If you don't like his answers then move to another surgery and find one who is interested.

Your GP should listen to your heart for any abnormalities, run an ECG if he thinks there is anything there. Blood pressure tests will also give an indication and will be available.

If there is equipment it's possible to check breathing and lung function. Surgerys with alot of old people might have this kit.

Don't expect to get a full body scan or anything, the NHS hasn't got money to waste on people who want a 'body MOT'

geared - I have recently changed to another surgery in the hope that another GP might take my issues seriously. I don't expect to get a full body scan, I know the NHS doesn't have the funds, which is why I was asking if anyone knows of a clinic that would do this privately.

Supertramp - thanks for your suggestion; I will give them a call.

Go talk to your doctor.

If you don't like his answers then move to another surgery and find one who is interested.

Your GP should listen to your heart for any abnormalities, run an ECG if he thinks there is anything there. Blood pressure tests will also give an indication and will be available.

If there is equipment it's possible to check breathing and lung function. Surgerys with alot of old people might have this kit.

Don't expect to get a full body scan or anything, the NHS hasn't got money to waste on people who want a 'body MOT'

Cant say ive seen many GPs with access to an ECG, and those that do the interpretation leaves a bit to be desired.

geared - I have recently changed to another surgery in the hope that another GP might take my issues seriously. I don't expect to get a full body scan, I know the NHS doesn't have the funds, which is why I was asking if anyone knows of a clinic that would do this privately.

Supertramp - thanks for your suggestion; I will give them a call.

As a new patient, I would have thought you would have been offered at least an "MOT" with the practice nurse. (I could be wrong...)

I'm wondering if anyone knows of a clinic/somewhere that I could have an MOT done? I want to find out the health of my heart and other organs. Obviously, if it's possible to have a full health check, this would mean going private but my GP seems uninterested in the fact that certain serious health problems run in my family. My health is not good and I'm fed up with being fobbed off with "It's probably this ... it's probably that".

Here is your man.

http://www.privategpsheffield.co.uk/

I tend to agree with you, ratter71, about not many GPs doing ECGs. And, Plain Talker, I've never been offered an "MOT" as a new patient at any surgery, though I believe this is being put into place at some pratices. (But my health problems produce an array of symptoms so a very generalised check would be of no use to me, I need specifics.)

I think Bupa would be unaffordable - I don't have much money for this as I would pay for a check from a small windfall of just a few hundred pounds. After that, I'm broke. But I will check out other suggestions.

Thanks for all the replies.

Archived