A couple of great places to eat in Sheffield

owls101

I went to the Cricket Inn in Totley Bents with my girlfriend for lunch the other day. I’ve got to say it was absolutely fantastic. We had the ‘surf n turf’ platter to share. It included rump stake, pork belly, fresh king prawns, potted crab, chorizo and mini fish fillets to name a few, all accompanied by bread, salad and various sources to match the different meet and fish.

I have been living in London for the last five years but will be shortly be returning to Sheffield. My southern girlfriend is coming with me. She is a real foodie and she said you would find it hard to get better quality food of it’s kind in London. The service was first class and they also had a selection of great Ale from Thornbridge Brewery.

I also wanted to give a shout out to Ashoka Curry house on Ecclesalll Road. Top class food and excellent service.

Just wanted to share a couple of very different, but equally as good, places to eat. Check them out.

:)

Thanks for the tip mate. I'm familiar with the Cricket and enjoy it particularly in summer when you can sit out the back and enjoy a pint of good ale like Thornbridge Jaipur and enjoy the view over the moors whilst the kids frolic with a football or cricket bat on the big open field.

It's also a very nice pub on the inside - I think the dining room is charming.

As for the food...

well...

it's telling that you came up from London and enjoyed it without noticing the price. By London standards it must seem like an absolute bargain - but compared to many places locally it's quite expensive.

We've been many times and had some good meals and some indifferent ones there. The general consensus amongst many of our friends is that it is not fantastic value for money. An 8oz steak will knock you back £18 and that's not including any side dishes. Again, appreciate this isn't expensive for London - but for round here it is very expensive and Sheffield folk don't like expensive as you will find out when you come and live here and wonder where the big flagship stores and top restaurants are.

My main gripe with the Cricket though is about the beer. It's about 50p more for a pint of Jaipur at the Cricket than at another Thornbridge pub about 10 minutes drive from there. It just feels like they are trying to wring every last penny out of you - just because of the area. However, if the food really is as good as what you are saying it is (and if it is, then it must have improved a bit over what it was a few months ago) then it's a good recommendation I agree.

Don't know much about the Ashoka - except it used to be one of the flagship Indian restaurants in Sheffield when there were very few to choose from. It's a place I never think of going tbh. The 2 relative newcomers, Aagrah and Akbar's, are more highly rated locally. Particularly Akbar's imo although it's a long way out of town and a bit dark inside.

PrithiRaj will give any curry house a run for it's money. I went last night and if was fantastic. It's where Ayeshas used to be on Ecclesall Road. Best curry I have had in Sheffield.

not sure I like your description of giving a run for it's money tbh! I try and avoid curry houses that do that to me.:o

Thanks for the tip - I didn't know about this place. I'll take a look sometime. Hope it's better than the other pretentious Indian places on Sheffield Champs Elysees.

Only good restaurant I've been to on there is All Siam - which I think is excellent - or was last time we went.

• 2 years later...

Regarding Eccles Road, the only good restaurants I came across good were All Siam and Nonna. I haven't tried other menu of Glaze Inn but certainly 'tempura' was not what it's meant to be, it was deep-fried like fish and chip, although it's meant to be lightly-fried.