Littlejohn wanting to abolish working benefits

he was talking about hb and top up to make your wage a living wage

or do you think these people that do these jobs should not get a living wage well, a kind of living wage

What is top up?

Do I think that the man who works 50 hrs a week as a security guard should pay money to the government to be given as "top up" to the man who only works for 20 hours a week so they can both have the same lifestyle...err no, I very much don't and that sounds like a mad system if that is what we have now.

Littlejohn is spot on here. Taxing people then giving them some back is stupid and wasteful.

The government knows there are too many people, there simply isn’t enough work for everyone, one way to solve this problem is to tax the people that do have a job, and to do this they get to employ some more people to take the tax, but this still doesn’t solve the problem so they employ another group of people to give them some of it back.

Its simply about creating work.:D

if you are on a low wage poor hours you do not pay tax

But you said he said "and slash taxes for everyone".

This worked in Hong Kong where most people don't pay tax and those that do only pay a low amount.

Oddly enough their position on the global healthcare league is much higher than ours and the average HK citizen earns 1/3 more than the average UK citizen.

Clearly they are doing it all wrong. More taxation and a bigger public sector is clearly the right answer.

I not a fan of littlejohn but taxing people then giving them a tax credit for the same amount seems like a very expensive way of achieving nothing. Just raise the amount people can earn before they pay tax seems simpler.

Ah but it does achieve something. The landlords get their rent and people can pay their debts to the banks. It is part of what is keeping the economy on life support.

Take this support away in an instant and there would be a crash of epic proportions. And prats like Littlejon would be the shrillest voices on the block when their properties and other investments crashed in value.

He has no idea what he's really proposing.

Ah but it does achieve something. The landlords get their rent and people can pay their debts to the banks. It is part of what is keeping the economy on life support.

Take this support away in an instant and there would be a crash of epic proportions. And prats like Littlejon would be the shrillest voices on the block when their properties and other investments crashed in value.

He has no idea what he's really proposing.

How is giving people back tax after they'd paid it (or not as june seems to suggest is the actual system) affect landlords? I rent an office because the farms not got room for one, my landlord gets his rent paid without bothering the benefits system. I don't get this benefits=landlords having larks thing.

that is all very well if you pay tax but as i have said if you are in part time low paid work you will not pay tax from your wages

low paid jobs cleaner, bar staff, cafe staff caterers, security guards etc

i work, from 8.30 till 5, 5 days a week, i earn about 20p or so over minimum wage.

i have decembers pay slip in front of me right now, i paid 114.50 paye tax and 73.92 National Insurance

i get working tax credits, its crazy, id much rather i got either paid a real living wage off the company, or taken out of the tax bracket.

i only earn about 11.500 or so a year.

i really dont see the point in taking tax of somebody (which involves a department and resources) to then need to pay them a benefit cos they dont get enough money to live on and then needing a second fully staffed department and resources???????

just doesnt make sense

---------- Post added 08-01-2013 at 18:47 ----------

How is giving people back tax after they'd paid it (or not as june seems to suggest is the actual system) affect landlords? I rent an office because the farms not got room for one, my landlord gets his rent paid without bothering the benefits system. I don't get this benefits=landlords having larks thing.

he must be chem1st in disguise :suspect::huh::help:

can remember in the eighties people working eighty hours a week and still having to claim FIS as it was then, before the minium wage which the tories hate, now they call it tax credits

I was actuallly referring to people with families

and pray please tell us where these 50 hour a week cleaning jobs are, not just security guards

It's quite simple. A lot of people get back more than they pay in tax.

As ever this isn't a simple issue. As you state it does seem a nonsense if the amount returned cancels out the amount paid. Maybe further reform of the tax band would sort that.

Archived