Littlejohn wanting to abolish working benefits

Am I being dim here? If you don't pay any tax how can you have a credit against it?

It is a bit of anomaly that one is given tax credits despite not paying any tax, maybe it’s the name of the benefit should be changed, universal credits sounds like a good name for it. :)

Because after the family pay their income tax they cannot afford any rental properties on the market. Sure maybe you could change their tax band to take account of high rents and leave them enough to pay the landlord but that would be odd don't you think?

The best thing would be for everybody to pay their tax and for that tax to be spent on services etc... The best thing would be if no housing benefit was needed at all, i.e. if rental costs were fairer and much lower.

---------- Post added 08-01-2013 at 21:38 ----------

A lot of people do take second jobs, and third jobs.

And rightly so!

Not all workers pay tax, someone on the minimum wage for just 16 hours can qualify for tax credits, but they don’t earn enough to pay tax.

Personally, I don't know a single person who does 16 hours a week on minimum wage. Those you are talking about are a tiny minority of the people who will lose out from these 'reforms.'

However, I am all for everyone paying their way. So lets get the banks to pay back the £100s billions they have received in susidies from the puiblic, and then get the tax which should be paid by the billionaires and corporations who use legal loopholes to pay sod all tax on the ££billions they make in profits from the British people.

Then, when we have sorted all that out, we can start to cut money from people lower down the financial ladder, if we still need to.

I have heard all the arguments of the people who think it more fair for the poor to subsidise the rich, but I have yet to be convinced, because they mostly seem to consist of attempts to split the majority, who are feeling the pinch, into different groups and then turn those groups against each other.

Personally, I don't know a single person who does 16 hours a week on minimum wage.

There are lots. Cafes, restaurants, hotels, cleaning companies, bars etc seem to the places you'll find them.

It suits the worker because they can do a bit of work but claim tax credits in order not to lose out financially (by not claiming JSA and Housing Benefits etc) and it also suits the employer as they get workers willing to work for NMW at a rate of hours that will not involve the employer operating PAYE or having to pay employer's National Insurance.

---------- Post added 09-01-2013 at 05:19 ----------

WORKING tax credits you get if you work, and so pay tax :suspect::huh::loopy:

Lots of people are in work earning less than £155 per week. In which case they wont pay tax but could be eligible to receive tax credits.

"Tax credits" should really be re-named "low pay top up benefit".

Can't say I'm a condem supporter, but the article with it's political slagging makes sence.

Why Income Tax a Household to then pay back housing benefit to them.

The whole administration bill for deducting tax, and paying out inwork benefits must cost a fortune.

I think it's a system favoured by the left because it gives the impression of the state providing free money to the population which we must be ever so grateful for. The political right are with the people on this, I'm 100% sure people would rather pay less tax if it meant not having to claim tax credits, whereas the left ideologically oppose low tax as they want to keep the state apparatus big, and by extension public sector workers.

Littlejohns a nomark and daily mail toilet roll.

Do think min wage should be supplemented, dont see why high earners require govt. Assistance.

Theres loads of min wage or barely above that in york, shop, bar and hotel workers etc. Don't know how they survive and raise families on that.

---------- Post added 09-01-2013 at 08:44 ----------

All for universal credit too, if it reduces admin bill and doesnt penalise poorest in society.

Archived