Should margarine be banned?

And of course it's up to you to prove that. Claims without evidence can be dismissed without needing anything further.

No- it's up to the science people to prove that, and they have- plenty of evidence to show that people who eat a high portion of highly processed foods tend to develop serious health issues, are you not aware of that?

Use the word toxic incorrectly though - and I'm sure you know what the correct meaning is just means you will be open to further ridicule. If you are going to argue science with the big boys it pays to havea good foundation.

I'm not arguing science with "the big boys"- I'm trying to help everyday people who are caught in the trap of eating food which will harm them, and encouraging them to steer away from highly processed 'foods' and towards the unprocessed stuff that will actually reduce their chances of getting heart disease, strokes, diabetes, obesity etc, etc.

IMO, that should be the job of the "big boys", but, as you can see from the state of the nations health, it's not really happening: perhaps they spend too much time arguing with each other over semantics :)?

Can you provide some evidence that water is safe OWD?

(You can't, the best you could do would be to point to a lack of evidence that it is harmful).

Edit - and like most things, consume enough of it and it will actually kill you, so does this mean that everyone should stop consuming water... It's clearly toxic.

(You can't, the best you could do would be to point to a lack of evidence that it is harmful).

Edit - and like most things, consume enough of it and it will actually kill you, so does this mean that everyone should stop consuming water... It's clearly toxic.

Short memories,

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2012/jun/02/water-system-toxic-contraceptive-pill

You're confusing something in water, with water itself.

However

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overhydration

causing

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyponatremia

Is water poisoning you.

In which case with nothing in it,

http://www.watershed.net/media/pdf/purified-water-and-its-dangers.pdf

"Water cures, but purified water is a detriment to the health of anyone who consumes it. Purified water is produced by deionization, distillation or reverse osmosis and should not be consumed for three reasons. It acidifies the body, leaches minerals from the body and the large size and shape of its water molecule clusters do not hydrate the body well. In fact, long-term use of purified water can leave us dehydrated.

Purified water should be used in humidifiers, fountains, autoclaves and fish tanks. It is used in many industries, but it should not be consumed.

Purified water has had all the minerals removed from it, which is a substance that cannot be found in nature. When we drink purified water,

we are consuming a pure chemical substance,H2O. Pure chemical substances of any kind are not found in nature collected together, but

instead are always mixed with other substances.Because of its extreme purity, purified water absorbs carbon dioxide from the air, which makes it acidic and even more aggressive at dissolving the alkaline substances it comes in contact with. The pH of purified water is much more acid than the body should be. It contains little or no dissolved oxygen and therefore is

considered dead water unless it is re-oxygenated".

Let's get a workable definition of "safe" first :)

In the context of food, anything you consume is going to have positive effects, and negative ones.

So I'd suggest using 'safe' in the sense of the positive effects greatly outweighing the negative ones.

Let me know if that seems like a usable definition in this context, and, I'll continue.

If you don't like it, then suggest one of your own, and I'll continue.

"Water cures, but purified water is a detriment to the health of anyone who consumes it. Purified water is produced by deionization, distillation or reverse osmosis and should not be consumed for three reasons. It acidifies the body,

No it doesn't whats the pH of the stomach?

leaches minerals from the body

Rubbish

and the large size and shape of its water molecule clusters

Hahahahahahahaha oh let me guess, it's a homeopathy treatise right. Utterly cobblers pure water has no long range order unless frozen

do not hydrate the body well. In fact, long-term use of purified water can leave us dehydrated.

Again utter cobblers

Purified water should be used in humidifiers, fountains, autoclaves and fish tanks. It is used in many industries, but it should not be consumed.

Purified water has had all the minerals removed from it, which is a substance that cannot be found in nature. When we drink purified water,

we are consuming a pure chemical substance,H2O.

Ooooh it's a "chemical" it must therefore be bad :roll:

Pure chemical substances of any kind are not found in nature collected together, but

instead are always mixed with other substances.Because of its extreme purity, purified water absorbs carbon dioxide from the air,

No it doesnt. it abosrbs it for other reasons.

which makes it acidic and even more aggressive at dissolving the alkaline substances it comes in contact with.

It wasnt good at dissolving them before. Pure hyperbole

The pH of purified water is much more acid than the body should be.

Again utter crap - whats the pH of the stomach?

It contains little or no dissolved oxygen and therefore is

"dead" water? What's that? Is deoxygenated water bad? Should I stop boiling my tea - that'll be deoxygenated... and oxygen is a chemical so we should remove it since it's so bad...

"Water cures, but purified water is a detriment to the health of anyone who consumes it. Purified water is produced by deionization, distillation or reverse osmosis and should not be consumed for three reasons. It acidifies the body, leaches minerals from the body and the large size and shape of its water molecule clusters do not hydrate the body well. In fact, long-term use of purified water can leave us dehydrated.

we are consuming a pure chemical substance,H2O. Pure chemical substances of any kind are not found in nature collected together, but

instead are always mixed with other substances.Because of its extreme purity, purified water absorbs carbon dioxide from the air, which makes it acidic and even more aggressive at dissolving the alkaline substances it comes in contact with. The pH of purified water is much more acid than the body should be. It contains little or no dissolved oxygen and therefore is

What a complete load of b*lls. Where did you dig that up? (Actually, don't tell me).

---------- Post added 12-06-2014 at 07:44 ----------

Let's get a workable definition of "safe" first :)

How about a workable definition of 'toxic' as well, you didn't want that for some reason.

In the context of food, anything you consume is going to have positive effects, and negative ones.

So I'd suggest using 'safe' in the sense of the positive effects greatly outweighing the negative ones.

Let me know if that seems like a usable definition in this context, and, I'll continue.

If you don't like it, then suggest one of your own, and I'll continue.

No, I think my point is proven. You can't prove that water is safe (ie completely none harmful), just like you can't prove bananas are safe, or I can't prove margarine is safe.

The best we could do would be point to a lack of any evidence of harm when consumed in reasonable amounts.

I checked my Lurpak this morning btw, states quite clearly that it contains no hydrogenated oils or fats. I suspect my Flora will say the same if I look.

Utterly unscientific; utterly a load of total ********.

Archived