Should margarine be banned?

I think it was this programme shown on New Year's Day:

http://www.channel5.com/shows/50-shocking-facts-about-diet-and-exercise/episodes/50-shocking-facts-about-diet-and-exercise

Unfortunately you can't watch it again, I missed part of it :(

It struck me that products like 'lower fat' margarine and diet fizzy drinks are seen as many people as a healthier replacement for the original products, when they can infact be worse for you. The fat and sugar has to be replaced with something, and it is often artificial chemicals and additives. On the rare occasions I do drink fizzy drinks I go for the regular version; I know its full of sugar but its better than drinking all those additives.

Apparently, Aspartime is now linked to depression.

---------- Post added 09-01-2013 at 19:40 ----------

Olive oil based spreads... problem solved.

jb

I was going to ask this, as i use Bertolli.

Yes, margarine, though I don't think it's called that now, I think it's spread, is not even yellow. It is made that colour to make it more attractive. Who would eat it if it were black or white ?

we used to have Vitalite when we were kids .. I remember it being a rank yellow colour :gag: ... love the song on the ad tho, I can still remember it almost word for word :hihi:

I think it was this programme shown on New Year's Day:

http://www.channel5.com/shows/50-shocking-facts-about-diet-and-exercise/episodes/50-shocking-facts-about-diet-and-exercise

Unfortunately you can't watch it again, I missed part of it :(

It struck me that products like 'lower fat' margarine and diet fizzy drinks are seen as many people as a healthier replacement for the original products, when they can infact be worse for you. The fat and sugar has to be replaced with something, and it is often artificial chemicals and additives. On the rare occasions I do drink fizzy drinks I go for the regular version; I know its full of sugar but its better than drinking all those additives.

most of the "facts" on that programme have been discredited.

I saw a programme a few days ago that said margarine contained trans fats but I am not sure if that was too much of a genaralisation, there are a myriad types of marg. I use Flora and always felt it was healthy???

nothing wrong with trans fats, or gay, lesbian and bisexual fats either. They're all welcome here.

Archived