Should margarine be banned?

we used to have Vitalite when we were kids .. I remember it being a rank yellow colour :gag: ... love the song on the ad tho, I can still remember it almost word for word :hihi:

Vitalite, yeah - used to love the swirly blob effect on a new tubfull. The tubs also made brilliant storage and packed lunch boxes!

Marge tastes horrible though. Haven't touched it in years.

My all time pet hate was the "lite" versions, only ever resorted to in an emergency when "borrowing" from house-mates. I hate the way they turn toast into mush. Absolute muck.

• 1 year later...

Saying that margarine is one molecule away from plastic is a myth and there are no facts to support this statement, you can read more here http://www.enjoymargarineeveryday.com/all-about-margarine/is-margarine-plastic-myth-busting. With regards to trans-fats, once margarine makers found out about trans fats they started removing them and most modern margarines no longer contain them – always check the label.

Just been speaking to this dieter I know who's making progress as she's now loosing weight, her nutrionists told her never to eat margarine because of the vegetable fats and other chemical nasties used to make it, margarine is only one molecule away from been plastic.

Googling has bought up many different results but then these things always do.....

Water is only one molecule away from being a deadly poison. As arguments go, that's entirely bogus.

---------- Post added 09-06-2014 at 12:08 ----------

Trans fats are hydrogenated vegetable oils ( saturated fats ) and are not good to eat. They are put in margarine.

Google trans fats if you need any more information.

Trans fats were never "put" into margarine, the process to create the margarine created trans fats. This hasn't been the case for about a decade though.

Archived