CEX in town - problem

Then under the sale of goods act, its not fit for purpose, go back and raise some hell, maybe ring trading standards first...its probably one of those many 'grey areas' good luck

I would wait and check first. If the game plays on the system it is designed for then it is fit for purpose. If the online element is an "extra" of the game then yes CEX should have notified you that it may have been used (then again they could argue that you bought it from a shop that retails in second hand goods)

I believe they have a notice outlining their refunds policy on the sales desk, might be worth having a quick look then contacting Trading standards but if it states clearly that refunds are in vouchers then might be worth taking them and then selling the vouchers on if you can.

But to agree with Jonny, if they are in the wrong according to trading standards go in and explain the situation and if you dont get the right response then argue your case in a loud but not shouting manner next to the aisle where people are buying from.

I didn't know about these codes as they are a new feature, FIFA 12 did not have these codes.
Online codes have been a staple feature of most AAA games since 2011/2012.

Maybe if Game/CEX etc. hadn't taken the mick so much on 2nd-hand resale values, publishers wouldn't have seen the need for this feature.

As it is, game retailers will sell you a brand new game at RRP, then let you trade it in within a short period of time (week or two) at near RRP value, turning a straightforward game sale into, effectively, a game rental service.

Can't blame the publishers' move in response to the above.

Insofar as CEX/the OP is concerned, nothing untowards if the game was sold 2nd-hand and relevant notices (no DLC/codes may be void) are displayed in-store. The above is exactly why such signs are displayed (I'm betting Game and others have exactly the same sort of signs), so Trading Standards don't come into it at all.

It's no secret that the video game industry moan about pre-owned games being sold on, even if for many people pre-owned are the only option if they can't afford the new release.

Whilst I agree with L00b about CEX's taking the mick on their prices (sometimes even more than I've seen for new), I don't like the publisher's tactics here either.

There are also the rumours that with the next generation consoles the industry as a whole wants to put an end to the sub industry of people buying pre-owned games. Registering games to a particular console, putting an end to backwards compatibility and used-games.

As always, vote with your wallet.

Only other option is a long shot but write to their head office? Play the innocent card and say they were really rude etc, its not guaranteed but they might offer you something compensatory.

I can't believe this,the OP does'nt say that the assistant's were rude so why try to get the assistant's reprimanded by Head Office

The OP has slipped up by buying a second hand game

Archived