CEX in town - problem

I have been in today and argued with them that they have sold me a game that basically does not work but they won't take me seriously because I look about 14 (I'm 17)

Really frustrated.

---------- Post added 09-01-2013 at 14:07 ----------

Apparently it costs £35 for a code

I didn't know about these codes as they are a new feature, FIFA 12 did not have these codes.

if go back with a few mate kick off cause a scene

@geared He may well have had CEX credit from previous trade ins, hence the purchase. This is how shops like this get you. Trade in, take credit instead of cash (as they offer you more for credit), hence locking you in to future business.

OP, it might be worth checking for examples of games on their shelves which state 'no DLC code'. If other games are marked as not having a code, but your copy is not marked in this way, you could be screwed as your copy is clearly distinguished as not having a code present.

If none of the games anywhere in store state code present or otherwise, this is massively misleading to the buyer, so you might have a case.

The other option. If they've given you a credit note, keep buying different copies until you find one with an unused code. Chances of this, however, are slender as most Fifa gamers would have been online with it.

Hope this helps. Good luck. For the record, I cannot stand CEX.

It's no secret that the video game industry moan about pre-owned games being sold on, even if for many people pre-owned are the only option if they can't afford the new release.
The industry has always moaned about it, for sure, but the codes have been mostly motivated by recent marketing practices of retailers (pushing the 'rental'-like angle ever more to increase the turnover cycle on a same game unit, i.e. these days a same game unit is sold and re-sold 4 or 5 times within a couple of months from first release).

There are also the rumours that with the next generation consoles the industry as a whole wants to put an end to the sub industry of people buying pre-owned games. Registering games to a particular console, putting an end to backwards compatibility and used-games.
Well, Sony have seen first-hand what this approach has done to the PS3 (:twisted:), so not to worry too much. Yet.

Especially when there will reportedly be no less than 10 new entrants on the hardware scene in the next year or so -potential heavyweights as well- and in the face of ever-increasing spend on mobile gaming (at the expense of desktop/home). I'm comfortable M$, Sony and Nintendo will all be only too happy to rely (in part) on their non-trivial back catalogues when their next-gen turns up (case in point, the WiiU is Wii-backwards compatible).

As always, vote with your wallet.
And/or go retro. For the price of a WiiU, I bought 2 full-size fully-working arcade cabs :D

The industry has always moaned about it, for sure, but the codes have been mostly motivated by recent marketing practices of retailers (pushing the 'rental'-like angle ever more to increase the turnover cycle on a same game unit, i.e. these days a same game unit is sold and re-sold 4 or 5 times within a couple of months from first release

This.

Think of it this way. A games publisher will earn money when their product is sold. The seller (let's use Game as an example) will obviously get their slice of the pie also. So the game is sold, and everyone is happy, having got their slice of pie.

However, Game actively encourage you to bring trade in the games they've just sold you, for a shiny new one. So they take your game off you, offering you a figure far less than they're planning on selling it for. Then they sell it on to a second punter (for not much less than it's brand new equivalent, I hasten to add). Only this time round, Game have got all of the pie, not just a slice, and the publisher does not see a penny this time round.

Rinse and repeat, and Game has done rather well out of selling the same game five times. The pubisher has only earned money off the game once.

Edit.

That's not to say I feel sorry for the likes of EA, by the way. I don't. They have other means of racking up huge profits (online codes, for one). It's smaller publishers who are unfairly hit by this racket.

This is one reason why PC games have effectively vanished at retail. You haven't been able to re-sell PC games for some time due to DRM and product keys. This makes them less profitable to high street game retailers who are really glorified pawn shops, because they can only sell a PC game once, whilst the same console copy can be re-sold over and over making a huge margin for the retailer each time.

It's also a major reason why console games have such a short 'tail' and the industry is reliant on week one sales. To make a profit the bulk of new sales have to be made before used copies start getting traded in and resold. This is why publishers have reluctantly started to lock content away via one-use codes.

So add the £6.49 or £10 if you have no PSN points onto that, and you could've bought it new! They're certainly doing well dissuading people selling them second hand with those prices.

Or just ordered it new from Amazon for £35, free delivery.:roll:

£32 for a second hand game, lol you got mugged!!

It's £32 brand new from play.

Chalk it up to a life lesson, it's crap like this thats keeping Cex in business.

F1 2012 was £24 there - second hand with the "extras" code pass used.

It's £27 brand new in Asda or on Amazon.

They wanted £20 for Carrier Command second hand when it was £19 new in Game and only £16 new at HMV.

Archived