Jessops (cameras, not hospital)..

So sad but I have to admit that the last few cameras I've bought were bought online, back in the 80's I had my own little darkroom and was constantly buying my bits and pieces from Jessops.

Times change but still shame they couldn't find a way to compete, they will be missed.

Is it inevitable given the increase in online sales and competition from supermarkets?

I'm surprised they've lasted this long.

As camera phones improve, fewer people are bothering with a deicated camera.

Digital Camera Sales Decline Due to Smartphone Cameras and Photography Apps

The old school darkroom enthusiast is virtually extinct.

Plus, buying online is often much cheaper.

There are not many high street businesses doing well- a lot are looking at going in to retail parks as high street is dying.

Online sales will continue to grow and so does the dominance of supermarkets like Tesco and Asda.

From what I have read, more was spent online at Christmas then at stores.

M&S are about to announce poor sales up to 29th December.

could be but the bad news is that whenever a shop like this or comet closes that means theres less competition for the others so prices will go up

Jessops have been struggling for years and have had, to the best of my knowledge, two debt restructurings. They also closed multiple shops in the past 18 months.

Reason they have gone under is that they couldn't compete on costs so your last comment isn't really valid.

Archived