Jessops (cameras, not hospital)..

There are not many high street businesses doing well- a lot are looking at going in to retail parks as high street is dying.

Online sales will continue to grow and so does the dominance of supermarkets like Tesco and Asda.

From what I have read, more was spent online at Christmas then at stores.

M&S are about to announce poor sales up to 29th December.

I thought that Tesco has had a really bad year, with their profits falling for the first time in 20 years.

I'm surprised they've lasted this long.

As camera phones improve, fewer people are bothering with a deicated camera.

Digital Camera Sales Decline Due to Smartphone Cameras and Photography Apps

The old school darkroom enthusiast is virtually extinct.

Plus, buying online is often much cheaper.

Me too. For all the reasons you mention.

I spent year and half at college studying photography - just before the digital age swooped in. Waste of time that was! :hihi: I could spend half a day in the dark-room perfecting a print that could now be done in a few seconds on a computer.

I'd like to think it could get bought up like Leah says with the others, but I just can't see enough market these days.

They might well get bought and go the same way as some of the others, as said above, with online shopping. Off the top of my very sleepy head, the ones I can think of that are still going, now with online only stores, would be Woolworths (last time I looked it appeared they had been bought by Shopdirect group who own Littlewoods), Adams, and Peacocks.

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

I think Jessops have been in trouble for a while. I'm sure I read not so long ago that Canon pumped several million £'s into the business to help them out.

I find it interesting that the likes of Jessops and last year Jacobs been unable to survive, but an independent store like Harrisons on London Rd seem to be doing just fine.

There's no market for them anymore really.

You can't run a chain of shops to serve a very small number of camera enthusiasts, especially as they don't buy new gear very often.

The writing was on the wall when people switched to cheap digital camera's.

I think Jessops have been in trouble for a while. I'm sure I read not so long ago that Canon pumped several million £'s into the business to help them out.

I find it interesting that the likes of Jessops and last year Jacobs been unable to survive, but an independent store like Harrisons on London Rd seem to be doing just fine.

Maybe some of the Jessops shops will survive..

Archived