Woman jailed for 3 years for causing fatal road accident when texting

From what I have seen, providing she is banned from driving she isn't a menace to the streets, so this is just a horrifyingly expensive naughty step.

So you consider a driving ban enough of a punishment for killing someone,she can go out as if nothing had happened,can't drive, legally,but can go by public transport;which is more than the dead innocent victim can.

She can live life to the full,which dead innocent people can't.

When in a jail cell,she can concentrate her thoughts and repent from jail.

---------- Post added 10-01-2013 at 14:27 ----------

MIKE.SUFC Are you a relative of hers?

From what I have seen, providing she is banned from driving she isn't a menace to the streets, so this is just a horrifyingly expensive naughty step.

So you consider a driving ban enough of a punishment for killing someone,she can go out as if nothing had happened,can't drive, legally,but can go by public transport;which is more than the dead innocent victim can.

I definitely don't think she should be punished with a jail sentence. This age old "chuck 'em in jail" way of life isn't working - there are oodles of news reports highlighting this. Putting her in jail solves nothing, you just don't have to deal with the problem anymore, it is the equivalent of sweeping the problem under the carpet.

Someone has died due to an idiotic mistake. What we should do is stop it happening again! The only way to do this is educate people properly so they won't do it. Olive mentioned it earlier - drink driving was a norm in the past - this isn't the way now - we (as a society) have changed how we view drink driving and now it is socially unacceptable to do it. I would never drive a car if I thought I had drunk too much - NOT because the bad old policeman might catch me but because I don't want to have an accident similar to this that I will regret my whole life.

---------- Post added 10-01-2013 at 14:36 ----------

---------- Post added 10-01-2013 at 14:27 ----------

MIKE.SUFC Are you a relative of hers?

No, I don't know anyone involved

RE: "Someone has died due to an idiotic mistake"

Erm ... misjudging a distance and knocking someone's wing mirror off is an idiotic mistake ....

Text/driving and killing someone is (cos everyone knows the dangers beforehand!) akin to causing death by dangerous driving / manslaughter IMO.

I don't think 3 years is unreasonable.

She's been incredibly stupid, but there was no intent on her part to cause harm. How many people on here can hand on heart say they've never been distracted whilst driving, whether that be eating, phoning, rubber necking, staring at an attractive woman in a short dress etc?....There but for the grace of God.

I wouldn't say this woman is any real threat to society, just as I'd say the guy responsible for the Selby railway disaster isn't any real threat, because there was no malicious intent on their part.

To my mind someone regularly stealing cars and trying to escape the police by driving on the wrong side of the road is far more of a threat, regardless of whether they do actually cause an accident and kill somebody.....But they usually end up with only 6 months.

Sometimes you can just be the victim of a very unfortunate freak set of events mixed with a degree of carelessness/stupidity (ie. Selby guy), but I'd judge the length of sentence more by the level of malicious intent rather than the outcome of the event.

Regards

Doom

Phew.... still some sane people on SF ;)

Are you for real? Or just WUM-ing?

Cos the Law & simple 'common sense' obviously mean nothing to her ...

Someone (innocent) is dead and it's her fault.

A ban isn't enough.

She's taken a life = she should have a chunk of hers taken from her.

Prison should give her time to (finally) realise the gravity of what she's done.

What if you say, set your handbrake when you parked on Blake street and it failed, the car rolled back down the hill and killed someone crossing the road. It's happened before a few times (not necessarily on Blake Street mind...)

That's still a driving offence - causing death by careless driving. Do you think that's worthy of being banged up for a few years?

What if you say, set your handbrake when you parked on Blake street and it failed, the car rolled back down the hill and killed someone crossing the road. It's happened before a few times (not necessarily on Blake Street mind...)

That's still a driving offence - causing death by careless driving. Do you think that's worthy of being banged up for a few years?

Of course not. What a ridiculous analogy. We're on about DANGEROUS driving not careless.

However, knowing that gradient, you'd maybe park in gear, with yer wheels aiming into the kerb. Even a brick under a tyre ... whatever ... just use yer brains.

And if that scenario DID happen it would be accidental ..... (and it's more careless 'parking' than driving) .....

Text/driving is 1) illegal ... 2) stupidly dangerous thus if ya kill someone ya should cop the consequences.

Obvious.

Archived