Woman jailed for 3 years for causing fatal road accident when texting

looking at this from a slightly different angle --surely it would not be impossible for a device to be fitted to vehicles that would jam the use of mobile phones whilst the ignition is turned on?? that would solve the texting/ mobile phone use while driving

It probably is possible but its using technology for technology's sake when common sense and self restraint should be enough.

Why is it that people blatantly ignore the rules and standards required to drive once they've got their licence?

it would seem that " common sense and self restraint" are what is lacking. I am not a great fan of "you must do this" by the state but there are some instances when something stronger than " please do not" is needed.

I don't think your cries of "Only 3 years!?" are properly thought out.

Prison is not a place for a girl like this - she seems like a very "normal" person, not a criminal or a danger to society (Although a ban on driving is a no brainer). Somebody has tragically died from an accident caused by a ridiculously stupid mistake (I would say you aren't exactly at your peak of intelligence at 18) and the way you want to make this better is to try and ruin another life by putting them in prison. What is she getting sent to prison for? Making a mistake!? Retribution seems to ease vindictive minds, but redemption would aid everyone.

This is a classic case of two wrongs don't make a right. She should be made to spend her spare time educating others not to make the stupid mistake she did.

And I don't think your cries of:-

I don't think your cries of "Only 3 years!?" are properly thought out.
are properly thought out.

Everyone knows text/driving is dangerous .... yet she still did it .... and killed someone .....

Consequences.

Age is irrelevant. She KILLED someone.

The consequence of doing wrong is you should make amends for what you did. She can't bring back the life of the person she killed, but she could certainly be made to work to try and stop this tragedy ever happening again.

And you must understand that she killed somebody accidentally - She is not on a par with a first degree murder remember.

Archived