Woman jailed for 3 years for causing fatal road accident when texting

The consequence of doing wrong is you should make amends for what you did. She can't bring back the life of the person she killed, but she could certainly be made to work to try and stop this tragedy ever happening again.

And you must understand that she killed somebody accidentally - She is not on a par with a first degree murder remember.

Of course I understand. I'm not stupid.

(Again, sigh) ... everyone KNOWS text/driving is dangerous ... including her ... yet she still did it.

Consequences.

Or, maybe, if a loved one of YOURS was killed by a 'texter' would you be:- "Oh that's a blow! .... Still I hope the driver gets rehabilitated" .... and everything is tickety-boo .... as you start arranging the funeral?

I don't think so.

Perhaps if a total ban of using a phone in a car should be in place ( including a stationary vehicle )

Mobile phone companies could show warnings on their packaging the dangers of texting, on every page of instruction manual for a phone in bold letters "Texting While Driving Can Kill"

Car manufacturers could put warning stickers in a car ( texting whilst driving can kill ) anyone selling a car have a responsibility to ensure a sticker in place.

The above may sound stupid but may get the message across clearer.

Other laws should be in place too, such as its illegal to manually change a CD whilst driving, even a cap on the volume of the stereo ( im sure cars with boom bass bins the driver is losing some attention )

I'm liking this thread, it hasn't turned into the "string-em-up" call-out that it could have done.

For those saying that the purposeful action, rather than the (chance) result, should be what is punished, I totally agree, although it's only when something goes wrong that the actions come to light.

What we need to do is to stop the behaviour, make people think it's totally unacceptable. Make texting whilst driving a social no-no, just as drink driving is. Make people totally ashamed to admit to doing this.

OK, so there are still drink-drivers on the roads, but if you think back to the '70s, it was common practice, no-one batted an eyelid. When they really clamped down, and certainly in the '80s when I started to drive, you would have been looked upon as a social outcast if you drank before driving. We had a whole new generation of drivers who just wouldn't contemplate it.

It's time to educate early, shame people into changing their behaviour, be ruthless in banning and sentencing people who text and drive, whether they hurt someone or not.

(Again, sigh) ... everyone KNOWS text/driving is dangerous ... including her ... yet she still did it.

Consequences.

Or, maybe, if a loved one of YOURS was killed by a 'texter' would you be:- "Oh that's a blow! .... Still I hope the driver gets rehabilitated" .... and everything is tickety-boo .... as you start arranging the funeral?

I don't think so.

I wouldn't be so blasé about it, but yes I would hope they are rehabilitated. Again - remember she isn't a murderer.

Could you explain what you would like to achieve by sending a person like this to jail? The poor family who have lost their child are still going to grieve and the fact still stands that this girls mistake killed him. It has cost the tax payer 3 years worth of prison cost and we are no further forward - put the cost of that prison sentence into an attempt to stop anyone else ever being so stupid!

---------- Post added 10-01-2013 at 11:38 ----------

I'm liking this thread, it hasn't turned into the "string-em-up" call-out that it could have done.

For those saying that the purposeful action, rather than the (chance) result, should be what is punished, I totally agree, although it's only when something goes wrong that the actions come to light.

What we need to do is to stop the behaviour, make people think it's totally unacceptable. Make texting whilst driving a social no-no, just as drink driving is. Make people totally ashamed to admit to doing this.

OK, so there are still drink-drivers on the roads, but if you think back to the '70s, it was common practice, no-one batted an eyelid. When they really clamped down, and certainly in the '80s when I started to drive, you would have been looked upon as a social outcast if you drank before driving. We had a whole new generation of drivers who just wouldn't contemplate it.

It's time to educate early, shame people into changing their behaviour, be ruthless in banning and sentencing people who text and drive, whether they hurt someone or not.

^ Amazingly put - I can't agree more.

EDIT: Hah - In fact I agree until the last sentence! Replace "sentencing" with "rehabilitating" and I 100% with ya!

I wouldn't be so blasé about it, but yes I would hope they are rehabilitated. Again - remember she isn't a murderer.

Could you explain what you would like to achieve by sending a person like this to jail? The poor family who have lost their child are still going to grieve and the fact still stands that this girls mistake killed him. It has cost the tax payer 3 years worth of prison cost and we are no further forward - put the cost of that prison sentence into an attempt to stop anyone else ever being so stupid!

---------- Post added 10-01-2013 at 11:38 ----------

^ Amazingly put - I can't agree more.

EDIT: Hah - In fact I agree until the last sentence! Replace "sentencing" with "rehabilitating" and I 100% with ya!

Fair do's, I'm happy with that!

looking at this from a slightly different angle --surely it would not be impossible for a device to be fitted to vehicles that would jam the use of mobile phones whilst the ignition is turned on?? that would solve the texting/ mobile phone use while driving

It would stop anyone else in the car legally using their phone.

However, I've often thought that a Faraday cage or similar could be used in theatres or cinemas to prevent any use of mobile phones.

---------- Post added 10-01-2013 at 12:57 ----------

Consequences.

I don't think so.

Then we should bring in long driving bans for texting while driving, and not wait until she or anyone else kills someone.

Could you explain what you would like to achieve by sending a person like this to jail?

..... put the cost of that prison sentence into an attempt to stop anyone else ever being so stupid!

Yes. She's off the roads and the roads are safer whilst she's away.

That driver was 18, in my link the driver was 29 ... both 'adults'.

And warnings & simple logic don't appear to work so get tough with these kind of people. Maybe remove their fingers & thumbs so they can NEVER do it again?

And that would "stop anyone else ever being so stupid!" too.

(Some STILL drive while banned so THAT method obviously doesn't work).

For those saying that the purposeful action, rather than the (chance) result, should be what is punished, I totally agree, although it's only when something goes wrong that the actions come to light.What we need to do is to stop the behaviour, make people think it's totally unacceptable. Make texting whilst driving a social no-no, just as drink driving is. Make people totally ashamed to admit to doing this.

I agree totally with this post. Initially, the key is the BIB. We need to catch them. In my opinion, if people expect to be caught and punished if they text, they will be much less likely to do it. I suggest 6 points or even a short ban as an absolute minimum for a first offence, and a MUCH longer ban for a second offence - as they clearly haven't learnt from their mistakes and will continue to be a danger if allowed to continue driving.

But at the end of the day, they need catching. By the time they have killed someone, it's already too late.

Archived