Advice please - how to stop debt letters for previous house owner

sorry for the long post - we moved into our new house in June/July 2012. The sale was a reposession - the previous owner was heavily in debt and left the address in Feb 2012.

Under advice of my solicitor I marked all the unopened mail (a carrier bag full !) from Feb to our moving in date as 'no longer at this address / return to sender'.

That stopped communications for while, but recently they commenced and we are being inundated with letters from debt collection agencies. Initially I called the companies to explain the situation, but the information seems to be ignored and the letters keep coming. We are now getting letters saying that a representative will be making an unannounced home visit to seize assets !!

Royal Mail said they have to keep delivering the letters to the address on the envelope, regardless of the circumstances.

Any thoughts on what to try next ? When the Bailiffs arrive, presumably we need to show some sort of id and then they will go away ??? I'm worried they may break-in if we are not there and take our possessions :(

They can only enter if you let them in. Unless its a court appointed bailiff with a court order, which it probably isn't if they are the type of company who aren't listening to the fact that the person is no longer at your address. They always start hounding people at Christmas, I think it puts the frighteners on people with all the new stuff they may have.

Don't let anyone in if they come! I've been told before that if you let them in once then they can assume right of entry for next time, that might be wrong though.

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

I'd ignore them as they're not for you, but if it bothers you then send the debt collectors a recorded delivery invoice for £300 for time and distress for each letter stating clearly the circumstances and that any further corresponding will be deemed acceptance of those terms.

They'll almost certainly update their records.

They can only enter if you let them in. Unless its a court appointed bailiff with a court order, which it probably isn't if they are the type of company who aren't listening to the fact that the person is no longer at your address. They always start hounding people at Christmas, I think it puts the frighteners on people with all the new stuff they may have.

Don't let anyone in if they come! I've been told before that if you let them in once then they can assume right of entry for next time, that might be wrong though.

I'd actually welcome them in and explain, they can't take anything as they aren't assets belonging to the debt owner.

This happened to me when I first moved in my house. I did the 'return to sender' loads of times but they kept coming.

In the end I just opened a letter and rang the company. Not had a letter since.

Good luck, its a pain, and a worry too.

I'd ignore them as they're not for you, but if it bothers you then send the debt collectors a recorded delivery invoice for £300 for time and distress for each letter stating clearly the circumstances and that any further corresponding will be deemed acceptance of those terms.

They'll almost certainly update their records.

now there's a thought !

---------- Post added 09-01-2013 at 21:55 ----------

This happened to me when I first moved in my house. I did the 'return to sender' loads of times but they kept coming.

In the end I just opened a letter and rang the company. Not had a letter since.

some have stopped after we've contacted them, but others don't seem interested in updating their records :rolleyes: there are so many different companies ... and now I can't keep track of what debt has been sold on to who as there are a lot of new letters.

Hmm wonder if that's the issue ... the original company got the 'does not live here anymore' message and passed the debt to a new company ... who automatically try the old address :confused:

---------- Post added 09-01-2013 at 21:57 ----------

They always start hounding people at Christmas, I think it puts the frighteners on people with all the new stuff they may have

that makes sense

---------- Post added 09-01-2013 at 21:58 ----------

I'd actually welcome them in and explain, they can't take anything as they aren't assets belonging to the debt owner.

I'm worried in case they 'don't care' that I'm not the previous owner :|

Do you have proof-documents, (eg estate agent/ solicitors' letters) regarding the purchase of the house? If so I would keep them to hand in case you get the bailiffs knocking, so you can show them proof that you are not the previous resident.

I seem to remember reading something somewhere about contacting (I think) companies like Experian, to lodge documentation to legally disassociate yourself from any debts incurred by the previous resident.

Harestone, NO, I would not let them over the threshold, as they have more powers to do with rights of re-entry if they have been allowed into the property on even just one single occasion.

Do you have proof-documents, (eg estate agent/ solicitors' letters) regarding the purchase of the house? If so I would keep them to hand in case you get the bailiffs knocking, so you can show them proof that you are not the previous resident.

I seem to remember reading something somewhere about contacting (I think) companies like Experian, to lodge documentation to legally disassociate yourself from any debts incurred by the previous resident.

Harestone, NO, I would not let them over the threshold, as they have more powers to do with rights of re-entry if they have been allowed into the property on even just one single occasion.

Matters not a jot, they cannot take any of the OP's possessions, but she could put an end to the problem once and for all.

Hi PT, surely the land registry will show the change of ownership ?? It hadn't occurred to me that their debts might effect me / my property ... grrr

Archived