VAT & Import Duty on S/H goods bought on eBay

You need to be a little bit more specific.

What do you mean when you say "import duty"?

Do you mean "Customs Duty"?

Import VAT will be payable. No contest.

BUT ... a previously exported work of art is entitled to a reduced valuation creating an effective rate of VAT of 5%.

"Customs Duty" is legally based upon "Country of Origin" .. where the item was made.

With documentary evidence that it was made in the EU, it is well worth contesting.

Thanks for the input cgksheff, that's how I read it, and when I wrote import duty I do of course mean customs duty.

Interesting addition about previously exported works of art, which is what this is.

However, I suspect I'm going to struggle with the "documentary evidence" bit. This was bought by a US lady when visiting the UK, from the UK artist's galley in Cornwall. I don't have any documentary evidence for that.

• 4 months later...

Just to close this story, and as an indication to others of how long this process can take and to persevere, I have this morning just received confirmation from HMRC that I am to receive a refund. Four months after putting in a claim on form C285, and after repeated reminders.

In summary they have agreed that the vase I bought is not subject to Customs Duty due to the fact that it originated from within the EC, and that the VAT should be the reduced rate of 5%. :)

My advice to people buying goods from outside the EC, but which actually originated from within the EC, is to get the seller to mark the goods as "returns" as somebody who frequently buys ceramics from around the world recently advised me.

Archived