The changing face of Chapeltown

The Scaffolding has gone from the waggon pub today, wonder if plans have changed I noticed that ridge tiles are missing and stacked on part of the lower roof and the big side sign is still there although the front signs have been taken down, wonder if something been knocked back with planning?

I noticed the same thing. The tiles on the roof are in a right mess and there are plants growing out of the gutter :confused:

Simple message is use them or lose them

It is odd isn't it. Folks moan about pubs closing. They only close through lack of custom.

ergo.. There are plenty of pubs for those who want 'em.

Things are looking up on the pub front in Chapeltown. The Royal Oak reopened on Friday and the scaffolding is up at the Waggon and the builders due to start. However heard that The Escape is now struggling which is not a surprise with the prices they charge. If they manage to survive they are going to have drop their prices to compete with Wetherspoons prices

We do try to be competitive with our prices but unfortunately they are somewhat dictated by Enterprise Inns and the price that they charge us for beer - we are running different offers such as the one below which starts next week.

Starting from Tuesday 7th May is our WEEKLY ESCAPE...

PINT CARLING £2.85

PINT JOHN SMITHS £2.40

PINT THATCHERS £2.55

AVAILABLE MONDAY TO FRIDAY... 11.30-6PM

Follow us on TWITTER to keep up to date with all our offers and events! @escapethepub

We do try to be competitive with our prices but unfortunately they are somewhat dictated by Enterprise Inns and the price that they charge us for beer - we are running different offers such as the one below which starts next week.

Starting from Tuesday 7th May is our WEEKLY ESCAPE...

PINT CARLING £2.85

PINT JOHN SMITHS £2.40

PINT THATCHERS £2.55

AVAILABLE MONDAY TO FRIDAY... 11.30-6PM

Follow us on TWITTER to keep up to date with all our offers and events! @escapethepub

That's surprised me, I always thought it was greenking at least there is now 3 pubs open creating a bit of a circuit.

---------- Post added 04-05-2013 at 20:12 ----------

Been told the company carrying out the work in the waggon has gone bust, hence the scaffolding company getting their stuff back.

Not sure if its the builders because any mention of The Waggon has gone off Wetherspoons site.

The scaffolders have left it in a right state, holes in the roof slates all over the footpath. Its not watertight any more and soon will be beyond renovation and become a right eyesore. A great advert to anyone coming in from the outskirts.

Not viable, I looked into a very similar pub not so long ago and worked out I would have to sell 20 pints of beer/lager per hour 7 days a week to just break even. So a pub now unless freehold will never really work.

Some of the free houses with good local beer at reasonable prices are doing a roaring trade. Selling many more than 20 pints an hour averaged over 7 days. Food can bring more people in too.

People don't want to go to a pubco owned estate pub that's had no renovation for 20 or 30 years, charges high prices for poor quality beer & has no other attractions. It can be cheaper to go to town, get good beer & a taxi home if you're having a few pints.

• 3 weeks later...
The scaffolding is back up again at The Waggon, fingers crossed it stops up longer than last time. Anyone heard anything else ie when its likely to open and if its still Wetherspoons ?

Apparently the discovery of asbestos led to a delay and a rejig of the redevelopment plans.