It looks like the BNP are right after all

White British minority - do you care?  

156 members have voted

1. 1. White British minority - do you care?

Y

As the population increases the amount of land that is built on will increase, but the amount of farm land will also need to increase, how do you propose to increase farm land?

18 million tonnes of food wasted every year to landfill sites. I think we need to manage our eating habits before we start thinking of increasing farm land.

Waste management needs to be ratcheted up.

18 million tonnes of food wasted every year to landfill sites. I think we need to manage our eating habits before we start thinking of increasing farm land.

Waste management needs to be ratcheted up.

I agree but how would you get 70 million people to consume all the food they buy, and how would you make sure only the right amount of food ends up on supermarket shelves.

It looks like an impossible task compared to population control.

How do you stop American and Europeans living like Americans and Europeans and more like someone from India or China, because it looks like it’s the people of China and India that will be living like us before long and then there will be even more wastage, the more people there are the more waste we will produce and we are encouraging even more people to come and live like us when it is us that should be living like them.

I agree but how would you get 70 million people to consume all the food they buy, and how would you make sure only the right amount of food ends up on supermarket shelves.

It looks like an impossible task compared to population control.

Not really, the blueprint is already there, we know how much we consume we know how much we waste.

How do you stop American and Europeans living like Americans and Europeans and more like someone from India or China, because it looks like it’s the people of China and India that will be living like us before long and then there will be even more wastage, the more people there are the more waste we will produce and we are encouraging even more people to come and live like us when it is us that should be living like them.

Not sure what you're advocating here. Population control or population movement? Or both? Over consumption is the problem, not the lack of it..waste proves that. You can't control a perceived negative when you are that negative. You either lead by example or you don't. There are so many examples of you (the West) feeding your face and wearing clothes at the expense of those that supply you with that commodity.

I don't wish to live in a world where people are bullied into not breeding or moving around...much easier to buy 2kg of spuds than 12 and waste 10.

Tesco I'm afraid will have none of it though.:(

---------- Post added 23-01-2013 at 10:55 ----------

While there is waste, I wouldn't trust that report as far as I could chuck it.

:huh:Any particular reason?

Not really, the blueprint is already there, we know how much we consume we know how much we waste.

Not sure what you're advocating here. Population control or population movement? Or both? Over consumption is the problem, not the lack of it..waste proves that. You can't control a perceived negative when you are that negative. You either lead by example or you don't. There are so many examples of you (the West) feeding your face and wearing clothes at the expense of those that supply you with that commodity.

I don't wish to live in a world where people are bullied into not breeding or moving around...much easier to buy 2kg of spuds than 12 and waste 10.

Tesco I'm afraid will have none of it though.:(

Knowing what we need and knowing what we throw away isn't going to stop us being wasteful.

You didn't really answer the question, how do you force people to consume less and stop wasting the food they buy.

I don’t waste anything but I can’t see how you are going to stop someone buying food and then throwing it away when they don’t eat it, obviously making everyone poorer and less able to buy the food they waste would be a start, but I can’t see any government taking that rout.

For now our policy is to encourage more people to move to the regions in which people can afford to throw food away and consume more.

:huh:Any particular reason?

For various very dull reasons :| it's an area of interest for me, so my ears pricked up when this item came on one of my favourite radio shows the other day: http://downloads.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/radio4/moreorless/moreorless_20130114-1200a.mp3

The bit you need should be right at the beginning.

Summary - one set of survey data is 20 years old, the other is newer and worldwide but with hardly any data points. Both make massive assumptions and include all sorts of waste that is unavoidable because it is lost in the field, farm, transport, factory, storage, etc, etc, etc.

The amount of consumer waste is unidentifiable as a proportion, so the data for how much food we waste is totally unreliable because the data isn't about how much food we waste.

Also, the food that we overeat is also counted as waste, even though it is eaten.

In other words, the Guardian article, and others like it, is pure junk, and it's certainly not part of any reason to reduce or control immigration / emigration in the UK or elsewhere. :)

Knowing what we need and knowing what we throw away isn't going to stop us being wasteful.

That's the problem, we know what we waste as a result of not knowing what we need.

You didn't really answer the question, how do you force people to consume less and stop wasting the food they buy.

That's the other problem some people have..."forcing". You educate but you educate by example.

Now our policy is to encourage more people to move to the regions in which people can afford to throw food away and consume more.

There you go, eat and waste less and you've solved your own population concern.

---------- Post added 23-01-2013 at 11:39 ----------

For various very dull reasons :| it's an area of interest for me, so my ears pricked up when this item came on one of my favourite radio shows the other day: http://downloads.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/radio4/moreorless/moreorless_20130114-1200a.mp3

The bit you need should be right at the beginning.

Summary - one set of survey data is 20 years old, the other is newer and worldwide but with hardly any data points. Both make massive assumptions and include all sorts of waste that is unavoidable because it is lost in the field, farm, transport, factory, storage, etc, etc, etc.

The amount of consumer waste is unidentifiable as a proportion, so the data for how much food we waste is totally unreliable because the data isn't about how much food we waste.

Also, the food that we overeat is also counted as waste, even though it is eaten.

In other words, the Guardian article, and others like it, is pure junk, and it's certainly not part of any reason to reduce or control immigration / emigration in the UK or elsewhere. :)

Well of course it isn't but it isn't going to stop certain minds from using it as such.

When I read the 1.3 billion I actually did take into account all the possible variables and not what we intentionally throw away. But if as you say some variable are not taken into account, thus the figures could be so inaccurate they might be even double?

That's the problem, we know what we waste as a result of not knowing what we need.

That's the other problem some people have..."forcing". You educate but you educate by example.

There you go, eat and waste less and you've solved your own population concern.

How do you propose to educate people and convince them that overconsumption and waste are bad because it adversely affect other people that they don’t know?

Knowing that you consume more than you need isn’t going to stop someone consuming it if they don’t care that it adversely affects someone else.

The problem is wealth, greed and selfishness, people know that they are wasteful and over consume but simply don’t care as long as they can afford to.

Archived