Ever caught a burglar?

Pkingy

We were burgled while living in UK.

Ma in law's little female dog yelped and yapped; we wentto upstairs bedroom window, saw a man jump out of downstairs window and limp away.

Going downstairs, we found our dog, Fred, worrying a piece of trouser leg with blood on it,

He had driven off the burglar!

Not a bad effort for a miniature poodle!

I've always wondered what I'd do if I caught a burglar. Since the Police couldn't seem to care less if you've apprehended one, I've always thought about saying we struggled and I was holding him at gun point...just to see how quickly they'd rush there lol.
Not much faster, I reckon ;)

Mrs managed to grab one of a gang of young kids, after they set one of our wall-mounted flower baskets on fire some years ago. Frog-marched him (gently, he was only a young kid - I mean 10 or 11, tops) into the kitchen and locked him into the pantry, then called the cops.

They never turned up...but the operator was consciencious enough to ask to speak to the kid, then ask him if he had been hurt at all, then proceeded to tell my Mrs that he could not be 'falsely imprisoned' and had to be 'set free' and that she would be lucky if the parents did not eventually press charges.

At which point I grabbed the phone from the Mrs and let my legal training take over ;) Never heard nothing more about it. Supposedly the cops were going to go round to the lad's parents and have a word...about a week later, I scoped (and filmed) the gang, including that kid, set the wheelie bin of the Post Office/Offie across the road on fire. Offerred video to the cops, weren't interested, never heard anything more about it again.

Burglars should hopefully remain a non-issue...we have a schizophrenic dog, black with very big (disproportionately big) and very white teeth :hihi: If all else should fail, my best mate is a qualified funeral director, and knows a lot of pig farmers Lincoln way ;)

Not much faster, I reckon ;)

Mrs managed to grab one of a gang of young kids, after they set one of our wall-mounted flower baskets on fire some years ago. Frog-marched him (gently, he was only a young kid - I mean 10 or 11, tops) into the kitchen and locked him into the pantry, then called the cops.

They never turned up...but the operator was consciencious enough to ask to speak to the kid, then ask him if he had been hurt at all, then proceeded to tell my Mrs that he could not be 'falsely imprisoned' and had to be 'set free' and that she would be lucky if the parents did not eventually press charges.

At which point I grabbed the phone from the Mrs and let my legal training take over ;) Never heard nothing more about it.

About a week later, I scoped (and filmed) the gang, including that kid, set the wheelie bin of the Post Office/Offie across the road on fire. Offerred video to the cops, weren't interested, never heard anything more about it again.

Burglars should hopefully remain a non-issue...we have a schizophrenic dog, black with very big (disproportionately big) and very white teeth :hihi: If all else should fail, my best mate is a qualified funeral director, and knows a lot of pig farmers Lincoln way ;)

It's amazing. I remember we had a fella in from the Police when I was at College, talking about if we get mugged and so on. He said ''Use only reasonable force to detain the situation'' I've often wondered what reasonable force would be if someone was brandishing a knife at you, especially in your own home. I mean we're not all trained to dis-arm someone, or act rationally when it comes to these situations. Some people will lash out to try and protect themselves, and if that means knocking out a criminal, and detaining him till the Police decide to show, then so be it. But rest assured he'd be able to press charges and you'd be in the wrong.

Dont blame the burglar blame the system. why do they need to burgle?

Couldnt give you every reason but following should do

1. Cant be bothered to get off their arses and earn something

2. Has a habit to feed

3. Has the social responsibility of pond life

4. Feels it acceptable to enter someones property

5. They are scum

feel free to ignore points 1-4 and jump straight to 5

I've often wondered what reasonable force would be if someone was brandishing a knife at you, especially in your own home.
Assuming the guy survived the dog (and that's a sizeable "if" to begin with), in that scenario, I haven't. Depending on the guy's move and all at his initiative, after being asked to lay face down/cross legs/cross arms behind his back, either he waits gently for the cops, or he gets some buckshot. I am in fear of my life, etc.

I've been shot at, and shot back, before (long story, so I'll spare you. An "anti-hunt protester" fired several shots at us unprovoked, I shot back (both barrels, 12 and 8x57JRS - to scare, not to injure or kill), gendarmes were eventually involved, self-defense was invoked, and we walked without any record or blemish...to the extent that it did not "blackball" my full security clearance/background check some years later), so I know I wouldn't hesitate.

As a student, one of my mates made a cup of tea for a burglar :hihi:

She had just got in and thought he was a house mates friend. It was only when he was sat down with his brew and said that he was the Landlords son that alarm bells starting to ring, she excused herself saying she needed the toilet and he fled through the back door that had been left unlocked!

He had been in rooms where other house mates had been asleep and had helped himself to wallets and mobile phones! that was just off London Road and a good few years ago now!

the one instance we are aware of the 17yr old youth who eventually owned up as part of other crimes was made to attend a thinking skills programme, and got a £100 fine of which not one penny has been repaid for over £1200 worth of damage done gaining access to the property.

hes since been down for another burglary and is currently back at large after a very short period away

pretty much sums up the local court system where burglary is not actually classed as serious.

I nearly did.

I woke to the sound of my french windows being kicked in.

By the time I got downstairs, the scrote was making it off down my front path. I tried to unlock the door to go and "discuss" the situation with him. (He was a pretty scrawny youth, I could have had him for breakfast:))

That was when I found out that he'd nicked my keys and was about to take off in my car.

Very frustrating, watching him unlock the car and drive away.

It's amazing. I remember we had a fella in from the Police when I was at College, talking about if we get mugged and so on. He said ''Use only reasonable force to detain the situation'' I've often wondered what reasonable force would be if someone was brandishing a knife at you, especially in your own home. I mean we're not all trained to dis-arm someone, or act rationally when it comes to these situations. Some people will lash out to try and protect themselves, and if that means knocking out a criminal, and detaining him till the Police decide to show, then so be it. But rest assured he'd be able to press charges and you'd be in the wrong.

Fire extinguisher in bedroom is a good idea - if you use a bat you get done for using offensive weapon - use a fire extinguisher and you have a valid reason for having it upstairs and using it to defend yourself

Archived