Eating out in Prague

When I went a few years ago it wasn't particularly expensive to eat out pretty well. You can get a good quality plate of food for well under £10 and the beer is very decent and very cheap as well £1-£2ish when I went.

TripAdvisor is the place to find out prices and things.

I'd recommend getting the tram that takes you up the hill and around the back of the castle all the way to the viewing tower. A great way to get a good view of the city and the tram is really cheap. From there you also get a view of the monstrous Strahov Stadium - the largest football stadium in the world.

I went years ago (about 2002 or 3 I think), it's not expensive, but the more touristy the place the higher the prices are. They haven't heard of vegetarian or anything like that, pretty much everything has meat in it, fine for me, but more difficult if you have special requirements.

It'll be cold, possibly very cold, take appropriate clothing.

Look online or send off for the booklet Prague in your Pocket, got all the info for the 'budget' traveler. Great little guide of things to see and do, what bus and tram to catch, accommodation, food and drink, everything you need to know.

We've visited the city many times and although prices have risen its still cheap and if you step back a street or two from the old town square or Wenceslas Square prices fall dramatically.

Only one bad thing to say, watch for the pickpockets theres loads especially on the trams.

If you stay away from the main tourist areas like Old Town Square then it can be really cheap, same with drinks.

For drinks, cocktails and cigars (i recomend the Dark and Stormy with a cigar on the leather couch in the back room) I cant recommend Hemingway Bar enough, its about 2 min walk from Charles Bridge. There is also a Hotel/Restaurant just opposite the Old Clock Tower in Old Town Square which, although the food isn't great, has a roof top restaurant affording great views. You'll be able to spot it from the top of the Clock Tower.

There are also a couple of great Jazz clubs just off Old Town Square, one just off one of the side streets to east of Old Town Square and one on the North West side street. I would stay away from Wenceslas Square at night unless you're on a stag do or some other similar lads night out or just fancy getting pick pocketed.

jb

---------- Post added 10-01-2013 at 09:50 ----------

When I went a few years ago it wasn't particularly expensive to eat out pretty well. You can get a good quality plate of food for well under £10 and the beer is very decent and very cheap as well £1-£2ish when I went.

TripAdvisor is the place to find out prices and things.

I'd recommend getting the tram that takes you up the hill and around the back of the castle all the way to the viewing tower. A great way to get a good view of the city and the tram is really cheap. From there you also get a view of the monstrous Strahov Stadium - the largest football stadium in the world.

That'll be the Funicular and it's only for the lazy or if it's too icy to walk up. Just make sure you pay BEFORE getting on. From about halfway up the hill you can cut across to the castle. Also about halfway up is a art gallery ran be a very eccentric guy, worth a pop in if your there. The mirror maze at the top is probably not worth the bother but the viewing tower is provided it is open. I've been six times and never managed to get up it as it's always been closed.

jb

I've been going there quite regularly for 20 years. How much you spend on food and drink is entirely up to you. Obviously like all cities with a tourist market things are more expensive the nearer they are to the main sights, think London costs upwards. However, there are plenty of places just a street or two away from the main drags where a beer would be around £1 or less, and meals around the 5 quid mark. There are also a few places that seem to charge so high as if to deter the mainstream tourist market - often around Pariska street

I'd suggest looking at Trip Advisor and finding the websites of any bars/restaurants you fancy - they quite often have their currentmenu on their websites. The Kolkovna chain are reliable - I like the one in Josefov, and if you're into beers make sure you find a tankova bar (that's where they do unpasteurised beers) There's a real spit and sawdust one near the Rudolfinium (its name is something like Rudofinium or Rudolfa)

Taxis in the street are always to be avoided as they are routinely a scam, and, as others have said, give Wenceslas Square a wide berth after dark

I went years ago (about 2002 or 3 I think) They haven't heard of vegetarian or anything like that, pretty much everything has meat in it, fine for me, but more difficult if you have special requirements.

It was really really hard to be veggie there years ago (lots of margherita pizza and smazeny syr - deep fried cheese) but now it's a doddle. There are a handful of completely vegetarian restaurants and most places have some veggie food

That'll be the Funicular and it's only for the lazy or if it's too icy to walk up. Just make sure you pay BEFORE getting on. From about halfway up the hill you can cut across to the castle. .

jb

I'm guessing they actually mean the 22 tram that goes up past the castle and behind the Loreta rather than the funicular?

• 4 weeks later...
thats all great thanks - any tips on where to stay? I think I'd like something in the town in the midst of attractions etc and probably an authentic hotel as opposed to a chain that operates in the uk

I stay here in apartment 1. The bed in the lounge area is actually a rather comfy sofa bed (at least it was last time I stayed). It's an apartment about five min walk from Charles Bridge.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=Karoliny+Svetle+21+*+Praha+1+-+Stare+Mesto&hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=50.083096,14.414539&spn=0.000243,0.000517&sll=52.8382,-2.327815&sspn=5.256928,16.940918&t=h&hnear=Karoliny+Sv%C4%9Btl%C3%A9+320%2F21,+110+00+Praha,+Czech+Republic&z=21&layer=c&cbll=50.083096,14.414539&panoid=A8xYvrHgdTbMkEfqOlAgeQ&cbp=12,188.62,,0,-8.52

There is a nice little restaurant next door (http://www.stoleti.cz/) and another one just over the road (http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=Karoliny+Svetle+21+*+Praha+1+-+Stare+Mesto&hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=50.082993,14.414882&spn=0.000243,0.000517&sll=52.8382,-2.327815&sspn=5.256928,16.940918&t=h&hnear=Karoliny+Sv%C4%9Btl%C3%A9+320%2F21,+110+00+Praha,+Czech+Republic&z=21&layer=c&cbll=50.082993,14.414882&panoid=tC12yeXjjvu4ruCUYDZsog&cbp=12,223.17,,0,-2.8) which does great stone oven baked pizza.

jb

thats all great thanks - any tips on where to stay? I think I'd like something in the town in the midst of attractions etc and probably an authentic hotel as opposed to a chain that operates in the uk

Hotel Lippert (used to be called cerna liska) and Hotel Metamorphis are nice if you want a hotel in the middle of everything. I've stayed in both and would probably go for Metamorphis over the two. I've only stayed in a handful of hotels though as I usually stay in apartments

I remember going there a few years back and specifically in early February, cos we wanted to experience the snow and winter there.

We staying in a hotel, which was 5-6 hundred yards from the top end of the main shopping street, so it was quiet enough, not to be rowdy, but walkable into the town.

The hotel was very nice in a quaint sort of way. Nothing grand, but nothing cheap and cheerful either and had some lovely period furniture in all the rooms. The staff we excellent! We only opted for bed and breakfast in the hotel, as we ate out all the time we were there. There's plenty of places to eat, so that's not a problem whatsoever, even a Macdonalds if that's your bag. However finding a decent toilet anywhere in the town is a challenge to say the least and is usually accompanied by some old woman demanding money off you to enter...and they're not that hygienic!

I'm not sure about nowadays, but we booked the hotel online and the flights totally separate. Which worked out very cheap.

Always get a price from the taxi driver first, before you set foot in a taxi from the airport. There's lots of touts there trying to show you to 'their' company. Ignore them, get a cab yourself and ask the price to wherever it is your going!

Oh, and another tip. If you get on a tram, there's no way to pay once you're actually on the tram. If you get caught without a ticket, you're deep in the doo-da. You buy tickets from newsagents and places like that. It's cheap enough...but make sure you have some tickets!!!

I loved it there and definitely revisit anytime. Especially in winter, it's just sooo pretty!

Oh, and a trip up the river is nice too, even when it's freezing!!!

Archived