Food going to waste

As much as half of all the food produced in the world - two billion tonnes worth - ends up being thrown away, a new report claims. This is such a crime, we see on tv other countries are starving and drinking dirty water, it makes me really angry. We only buy a little extra at Christmas and make sure it is in the use by date, but we bring our boys up to respect what we have.

According to the report food was also being wasted in the third world countries you're concerned about..

From the beeb..

"If you're in the developing world, then the losses are in the early part of the food supply chain, so between the field and the marketplace."

Also it doesn't differentiate between food wasted and food lost.. I don't think the report means that 50% of food bought is thrown away..

All the articles iv'e read today go on about 2 for 1 offers, but what about minimum packaging? for instance 1 carrot is enough for us. So, at the market 1 carrot,at the supermarket a bag of carrots,at the market 1 parsnip,at the supermarket a bag of 4,At the market 1 lemon at the supermarket 3 minimum,and so on. It doesn't all keep.

All the articles iv'e read today go on about 2 for 1 offers, but what about minimum packaging? for instance 1 carrot is enough for us. So, at the market 1 carrot,at the supermarket a bag of carrots,at the market 1 parsnip,at the supermarket a bag of 4,At the market 1 lemon at the supermarket 3 minimum,and so on. It doesn't all keep.

We can buy loose veg at our supermarket...

As much as half of all the food produced in the world - two billion tonnes worth - ends up being thrown away, a new report claims. This is such a crime, we see on tv other countries are starving and drinking dirty water, it makes me really angry. We only buy a little extra at Christmas and make sure it is in the use by date, but we bring our boys up to respect what we have.

the report that I heard also mentioned as part of this problem in the undeveloped nation transport to market difficulties, and sell by/ use by dates, and more importantly in the developed world the amount of food rejected by supermarket buyers because it does not meet their standards of appearance and shape and size. bear in mind that when the supermarket men visit if they see a few items that do not appeal to them they will reject the entire crop.

Yeah, you need to read behind the headlines. The amount of food produced that never gets eaten is estimated to be between 30 and 50%, but the stuff we buy and throw away is only a part of this.

Some is down to inefficient harvesting methods, some gets wasted in transit and storage. Then in the developed world there's all the "sub-standard" stuff that gets rejected by the retailers, then there'll be the tonnes of stuff that gets thrown out by the supermarkets before it is sold. Lastly, there's what we throw away ourselves.

What annoys me is the packs of cooked meat that give you 30% extra free. I don't want the extra, I'd rather have a price reduction. The print on the pack says 'use within two days of opening', so what I don't use in two days is effectively waste (unless I keep putting it on Mr Godzilla's sandwiches for the rest of the week!). Saying that, when you have dogs, not much ends up in the bin.

Archived