Private Booths - whats all that about???

jake

I was watching a "reality" type programme called The Club about a club in Vegas & they kept going on about private booths/tables - which seemd to mean you got your seats kept - not by the trad method of leaving your jumper on it or getting your p*ssed mate to look after 8 seats while you went for a boogie - but by paying the club a hefty whack and then they were "your" seats for the night.

Bl**dy H*ll, is there no angle the americans wont charge for? - it'd never work here - or so I thought - but sure enough I notice Gatecrasher are doing it...

So... would you pay for an "exclusive table"??

When I was there, I found that most clubs would make you cue, but there is always a chance you would not get in. A way round this was to "buy" a table for the night thus you had free entrance, a table waiting, waitress service etc etc ...

It sounded good, as most of the good clubs and bars are very hard to get in until you found the hidden extras once you bought your table.

Table for 2 = 1 bottle of sprits + mixer

So far example book your table and pay £80 each to sit there

Now add a bottle of spirits and mixer (any thing from £35 up)

Also you have waitresses to tip (they don’t come cheap)

1 night after a show and before hitting the tables we easily went through $400 just to have a boogie and chill out

It would depend on how much they were charging, and how many of us were splitting the cost!

I see why some people prefer it though, beats being crammed in like beans in a tin and spilling your drink everywhere!

Having worked in London for a couple of years I have seen this in many a drinking hostel, mainly wine bars though. Seems the idea is that you prior book a booth (partitioned area with seats and a table) and woe betide anyone else that mistakenly sits there in ignorant bliss before you get there! I've used a pre-booked booth with work colleagues but I wasn't involved in the booking process so not sure if it costs or not. No one asked me for any money though!! It can be a bit galling though if you go into one of these places and can't get a seat despite there being loads seats roped off with reserved signs on them!! Whatever happened to 'get there early if you want a seat'?

Archived