Urban Choola Indian street kitchen

urban choola

We were out walking in the snow this weekend looking for someplace to eat, and notice lights on at Urban Choola. Not only was it open, but it was its first night. We were officially their third customers.

We loved it.

Ambience is not formal -- it's not a place to impress a date. But I'd say it's better for that. Service is friendly and attentive, so it's easy to relax.

Menu is great, lots of things you can't get anyplace else in Sheffs.

And our food was good. We had a bhel salad, which was savoury and sweet and crunchy and big enough for two. My main was the chicken thali, one of those platters with lots of little bowls of different food. I'm a picky eater, but I liked everyone of them.

If you fancy something different, and a place that cares about both food and customers, it's worth a try!

Went tonight with my son , both of us are big east and west fans so we were keen to try urban choola out.

Was pretty good , some different things on the menu to east and west (with the exception perhaps of uttapam, dosa and thali which they both do)

We ordered ...

gol guppa (little hollow crispy puri shells you add sauces to and eat whole) , I've only had these once elsewhere but thought these were quite nice.£3.50

Samosa ragda chaat were crushed samosa with a curry dressing , these were really very nice .£4

Masala dosa was not as good as east and west , not as big , not as crispy , filling was worse and the sambar was thicker, a little bitter and didn't have the depth of flavour or spicyness as e&w. I guess if I hadn't been to east and west it would have seemed ok. Only £4.50 though

Pav bhaji was delicious and the best dish we had (just narrowly beating the samosas ), a veg and pulse curry with a toasted buttered breadcake to dip in it. Lovely texture and flavour and perfectly spiced for me. Well worth £5.50

We also had a lamb seekh Kathi roll to takeaway (for my wife), essentially a sheek kebab in a flatbread but was very tender moist lamb and good flavour. Came with masala chips (tasted like normal chips) and a small salad. Ok , not too special for £6. Less chips , more lamb please she said.

2 plain lassis £2 each. Total bill was £27.50 . Great value.

Pretty basic inside but warm , bright and clean (compared to e&w it's a luxury joint mind as it even has indoor loos!).

Service a little slow (they've only been open a few days of course).

Food did take a while to come considering its pretty simple and we were the only people in...on a busy day I have a nasty feeling they will not be able to cope...

Would I go back? Definitely yes. Especially to eat that pav bhaji.

But my dosa fix will be at the more authentic east and west.

I went for lunch today. The food was excellent; fresh tasting and well presented. I am a massive fan of 'Amigos' and the same owners look like they are on to another winning formula with Urban Choola.

The interior is tastefully decorated with characatures of people in traditional Indian food markets.

Give Urban Choola a try, you won't regret it.

Archived