Cutlers in sheffield 1700-1780

PopT

Can anyone give me an idea where cutlers lived and worked in Sheffield 1700-1780.

On some of the records they say, Thomas Briddon de Ead.

Is this short for the Moorhead?

Most of the family were Hatched Batched and Despatched at St Peters Parish Church.

Most appreciate any info.

Happy Days! PopT

Can anyone give me an idea where cutlers lived and worked in Sheffield 1700-1780.

Most of the family were Hatched Batched and Despatched at St Peters Parish Church.

Happy Days! PopT

I dont think Moorhead had that name in the 1700s

had a look also & i'm pretty certain there's an ancestor of mine recorded in 1766 in there.

had my direct male line traced back to 1706 in ecclesfield, they moved to heeley later in the 1700s & a number were 'little mesters' with their own small cutlery business'.

Happy Days! PopT

Hi There Pop T,

Try writing to the archavist (Dr Joan Unwin) at the Cutlers Hall in Church Street. She will have that info i'm sure.

---------- Post added 12-01-2013 at 15:20 ----------

Hi again Pop T,

You could also contact her via email at the Cutlers Hall.

Happy Days! PopT

"St Peters Parish Church" doesn't help much - I think that was the name of what is now the cathedral. Back then, it might well have been the only (or main) church for Sheffield.

Archived