Tracing my family history

I respect what you are saying & do agree to some degree but I am not willing to even think about proof because this is my private affair. I only got involved in this to let the poster know that I do find ancestry good. So I suppose I am saying you will have to join ancestry & do your own research . It is time consuming ,but I found it worth it. Oh & just a taster , my cousin has been doing my Mums side & found Bess of Hardwick .But like I said ,that is for me to know & not send proof.

I respect what you are saying & do agree to some degree but I am not willing to even think about proof because this is my private affair. I only got involved in this to let the poster know that I do find ancestry good. So I suppose I am saying you will have to join ancestry & do your own research . It is time consuming ,but I found it worth it. Oh & just a taster , my cousin has been doing my Mums side & found Bess of Hardwick .But like I said ,that is for me to know & not send proof.

Well done!

Sounds like you are a budding geneologist.

I managed to get back to the late 1700's.

I could find out who the guy's father was but nothing else. Not even his DOB.

I think thery moved around a bit, so the parish records were not much help.

I did get some professional advice, but they could not find anything prior to the 1700's.

I do realise the name could be misspelt.

I 100% respect your privacy however, how did you manage to find some of your relatives as most of the records on ancestry seem to start from the 1750's?

A few tips could be useful.

I used the census available for each year & I also knew some of my relatives from speaking to my family so put them in my tree. Like I say it is very time consuming ,but well worth while .My cousin , who is doing Mums side ,is helping me too .If I can help you I will

The UK National Census didn't start until 1801..a long way away from 20AD .. and they are only done every 10 years.. I still don't understand how you can get back to 20AD...what resources did you use?

Do you know everything turns into a slagging off on here. I realise it may not all be 100% accurate ,but it was accurate to me as far as I could tell & I don't have to prove anything to anyone as that to me is my private. If people choose not to believe me then so be it .

Says it all. It's not just on this forum, if you posted a claim like that anywhere on the internet you'd have to expect to be challenged. Like truman, I too would like to know how you traced your family back to a time long before records are available. Not asking for anything personal or "private", just the methodology :)

Says it all. It's not just on this forum, if you posted a claim like that anywhere on the internet you'd have to expect to be challenged. Like truman, I too would like to know how you traced your family back to a time long before records are available. Not asking for anything personal or "private", just the methodology :)

I thought I'd done well to get my tree back to about 1450. it was difficult enough to get there....just can't see how I could go back for an ever larger period than I've already done...as I said I'd be interested in the sources Fairyworld has used because it may help me...

It is so hard to explain . If I hadn't found the Royal connection then I wouldn't have been able to get back so far. I realise that there are lots of us with probably even illegitimate connections to the Royals because they were known for their affairs , but that is how I got back so far. It started with finding one more branch of my family connected to land in Yorkshire which then led to the findings that were to lead me back so far .

It is so hard to explain . If I hadn't found the Royal connection then I wouldn't have been able to get back so far. I realise that there are lots of us with probably even illegitimate connections to the Royals because they were known for their affairs , but that is how I got back so far. It started with finding one more branch of my family connected to land in Yorkshire which then led to the findings that were to lead me back so far .

I still find it hard to believe that you found any proper evidence of your family's roots as far back as 20AD...how were the records kept?

I still find it hard to believe that you found any proper evidence of your family's roots as far back as 20AD...how were the records kept?

I know, it does sound somewhat difficult to believe but either she is lucky, or has some hidden skills, or that she really has some well-known ancestors.

Give her some credit for what she has done and don't knock her 'cos you can't achieve it.

That's nothing, some people have managed to trace their family all the way back to 'Adam'.

Archived