Tracing my family history

I traced my family (males, as they're easier ..no surname change) back to 1815 with Genesreunited. AND im still at it, but the major problem with this site is the ££££. You are required to pay everytime you find a lead or a relevant document. And therefore you can end up paying a load. But i forked out the basic package and am really happy. Although I havent tried other sites. Goood Luck ! :) xx

find my past web site is good. I prefer it to ancestry.

Also look at free BMD which volunteers are transcribing the Birth Death and Marriage indexes from 1837. It has reached about 1940+.

Gives references for you to buy certificates from the GRO website.

http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/

Do NOT use Ancestry they charge too much.

find my past web site is good. I prefer it to ancestry.

Also look at free BMD which volunteers are transcribing the Birth Death and Marriage indexes from 1837. It has reached about 1940+.

Gives references for you to buy certificates from the GRO website.

http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/

Do NOT use Ancestry they charge too much.

I've traced mine back to around 1490 using a mixture of Ancestry, FreeBMD and going to the records offices to see the Parish records....

my wife started last night on ancestry BUT she had spent a lot of time (years) using the Family Search site and other mentioned above, she now needed stuff like Census 1911 which is only on Ancestry - you can get a really long way with the free stuff

RootsWeb is also good, I found a huge chunk of my family tree was already done on there by a distant relative

it is worth getting from library / Amazon Genealogists Internet too if you are starting out

if you do go for Ancestry the cheapest way to get it is buy Family Tree Maker 2012 from Amazon or similar - if comes with 6 months free membership, FTM Platinum is £40 for nr £80 of UK Ancestry access. I think FTM Worldwide is c£60 for everything

I am thinking about signing up to www.ancestry.co.uk to piece together my family tree. Has anyone here used it, or something like it, and had and success?

Careful! There may be surprises in store. I signed up for Ancestry a few days ago and almost immediately found out something about my late Mum that left me reeling in shock :hihi: Am now really wary of looking at my Dad's side in case there's something even more gobsmacking.

If you are interested in using Ancestry can I recommend you buy a copy of Family Tree Maker from Amazon see http://www.amazon.co.uk/Family-Tree-Maker-2011-Platinum/dp/B003S3RLLW/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1357925633&sr=8-4

For an outlay of £21.99 you get the sofware and you get FREE† 6 Month PREMIUM Membership to Ancestry.co.uk worth over £77

Archived