Help with Weights

I've dusted off my adjustable incline weight bench, Barbell and 2x 10 KG plates I'm just wondering if there's any Avid lifters out there that could give me a bit of advice on exercises etc. At the moment I've been a bit slack with training due to not knowing much about supersets etc.

Get some good advice before you start. Get it wrong and you could be damaged for life.

Thought of joining a gym first? There are enthusiast there who would advise and teach then take it up at home on the bench.

That's my problem, I'm aware the damage that can be caused by not lifting correctly. I'm also aware that you need to exercise opposite parts of the body in order not to cause strain on certain body parts.

I don't want to throw myself into it and end up doing damage lol.

Don't join a gym. No decent gym will require you to take out a contract. There are plenty of free weights gyms around sheffield that you can pay-per-session to use.

Also plenty of decent online forums with good advice for beginners.

While you're doing your research just make a basic workout using pushups, chins, squats etc. If you use your bench, just keep the weights low and keep your movements slow and controlled.

Do less rather than more- success in weights and any kind of exercise comes only with regular practice, so prioritise keeping your enthusiasm up- overdoing things will be counter-productive.

Most libraries will have at least one book covering all the basic weight training exrecises.

if you are serious join gym.1on 1instruction free at ponds forge,special rates for over 60,use weights at home just for keeping loose

If you're serious, the last place you'll go is Ponds forge :) or indeed any commercial gym that requires you to sign a contract- many, many people have regretted signing binding gym contracts.

Weights at home, once you know what you're doing, are more than adequate, and certainly not just for 'keeping loose'.

Archived