Labour plans to protect non property owning class from exploitation.

You make a profit and get the mortgage paid, and benefit from any increase in property prices.

Whilst the poor tenant pays your mortgage and profits and doesn’t benefit from any increase in property price.

Ban buy to let and get banks lending to the people that need an home and your tenants will be much better off because now they just pay the mortgage and not your profits and they benefit from any price increases.

Yes, i make a profit every month of all of my properties, thats why i do it. Its my business , and the idea of business is to make profit, and earn a living from the business. Im slightly different as all my properties are student lets houses and i rent on a room by room basis. Ok , im not denying i make a good living from my properties ,as student lets bring double the rent each month than i would earn from just renting them as family homes.

"One Nation Labour". Makes me cringe. More talismanic bull****.

I think a lot of it is relative. Rent is high if you're single and want a place of your own rather than house share. It's your sense of entitlement and how hard you're willing to work for something that truly determines its attainability. You can, however, find a good deal as a couple.

Case in point - we recently found a 4 bed, 2 bath house for £625 per month. It's a very nice place in a good area. Is that really that expensive, considering two minimum wage incomes would bring in £1,500 per month? Obviously this is just one case. But when we were looking around, there were plenty of affordable houses. My partner has children, she is a student and I'm self employed on a low income, so in theory it shouldn't have been this easy to find an affordable home. But we did.

Chem1st, I share many of your sentiments about land reform and one thing that should stop is government directly subsidising land owners, but I don't necessarily think rental price is the real problem at the moment. It may be soon, but I'm not knowledgeable enough about that aspect of the economy. I can only go on what I've observed over the past 10 years of my renting in Sheffield. I think banking reform is the priority. Only when the banking system is fit for purpose as a public utility will investment start to flow to the right areas and shape the economy in the public interest.

Correctamundo. Rent is too high. A house down the road from me in 2009 (ish ?!?) was £450. Now I believe it's £550. Why ? Mortage rates haven't gone up, house prices certainly haven't.

In the commercial sector rent goes up year on year. Who puts them up first ? Council.

Ah reminds me! I need to put the rents up in my property, thanks.

This isn't a pop and I'm a long way from being a chem1st sympathiser, but what motivates you to put rent up (and can I ask by how much?). I'm assuming your costs haven't gone up as interest rates haven't. Purely market forces ? Because you can ? If there is a cap on housing benefits would that force your rent down ?

As I said, not having a go, just curious.

Yes, i make a profit every month of all of my properties, thats why i do it. Its my business , and the idea of business is to make profit, and earn a living from the business. Im slightly different as all my properties are student lets houses and i rent on a room by room basis. Ok , im not denying i make a good living from my properties ,as student lets bring double the rent each month than i would earn from just renting them as family homes.

Who's a clever boy then!

This isn't a pop and I'm a long way from being a chem1st sympathiser, but what motivates you to put rent up (and can I ask by how much?). I'm assuming your costs haven't gone up as interest rates haven't. Purely market forces ? Because you can ? If there is a cap on housing benefits would that force your rent down ?

Landlords increase rents as much as they can. That's why we should tax them. They can't pass on the burden of tax in the form of increased rent to the tenant, as they almost all already charge the maximum they can do.

Landlords increase rents as much as they can. That's why we should tax them. They can't pass on the burden of tax in the form of increased rent to the tenant, as they almost all already charge the maximum they can do.

Landlords already get taxed on any profit they make !!

I apologise. I'm just being a wind up merchant.

Archived