Do You Think Religious People Are Slightly Strange?

As an atheist I find religious belief a bit bizarre but what you believe isn't down to choice but how you brain is wired. I wouldn't shun someone for their belief unless they start trying to convert me. Then they can kindly do one.

As an atheist I find religious belief a bit bizarre but what you believe isn't down to choice but how you brain is wired. I wouldn't shun someone for their belief unless they start trying to convert me. Then they can kindly do one.

So you don't think it's anything to do with the influence of others (mainly parents) ?

---------- Post added 14-01-2013 at 22:20 ----------

Stop kidding yourself, you aint that bright. If you need religion, fine. If you dont then stop knocking it. People decide for themselves.

I think in many cases the ability to choose is suppressed by the effects of their their lengthy indoctrination (for those who were raised that way)

An atheist is more boring than any believer.

How so?

Now that would make a great signature:D

If they don't believe then why spend so much time knocking it?

Most of them don't

Is this a common situation for you?

Also do all religious types wear sandals or conversely are all sandal wearers religious types?

Unfortunately because of the snow,i decided not go out in my sandals,i thought it may look slightly strange so wore boots instead.

So you don't think it's anything to do with the influence of others (mainly parents) ?

---------- Post added 14-01-2013 at 22:20 ----------

I think in many cases the ability to choose is suppressed by the effects of their their lengthy indoctrination (for those who were raised that way)

How so?

Most of them don't

Some do, and are rather vocal. There are posters on hear who want to upset people or get them sectioned. Why ? Do they hawk round churches to hurl abuse at berieved who use their faith for a crumb of comfort when a loved has died ? Based on some of posts on here they'd do it given half a chance.

On the other side of the coin there is a huge difference between the organisers of religion (including those who try to convert people) and those who have a set of beliefs who keep it to themselves.

Some do, and are rather vocal.

But most don't, which was my response to Cressida's generalisation that they do

There are posters on hear who want to upset people or get them sectioned.

There are posters on all the threads who want to upset people or get them sectioned! Only the other day, I mentioned (along with two others) that vigilante mobs might not be a good idea in relation to a current wave burglaries . I received a whole barrage of hate, insults, ridicule and abuse for it. Throughout the whole series of events I replied with polite and rational posts til it got to the point the haters weren't quite sure why they were hating me/us.

Why ? Do they hawk round churches to hurl abuse at berieved who use their faith for a crumb of comfort when a loved has died ? Based on some of posts on here they'd do it given half a chance.

I don't know. Although I'm not one of these anti-theists, I have received plenty of insults, assumptions and preconceptions about what I do or don't believe, by theists.

For every hater, there's another on the other team.

On the other side of the coin there is a huge difference between the organisers of religion (including those who try to convert people) and those who have a set of beliefs who keep it to themselves.
Quite right, organised religion and personal faith are two different things.

It is in their early years but I don't personally feel you can place a label like 'Christian' or 'Muslim' on a small child because they're too young to be able to critically think about the subject and form genuine beliefs about something so complex. I do think that some people are more predisposed towards religious belief than others though.

It is in their early years but I don't personally feel you can place a label like 'Christian' or 'Muslim' on a small child because they're too young to be able to critically think about the subject and form genuine beliefs about something so complex.

I think there may be one or two Christian/Muslim parents who disagree with you on that!

Archived