Do You Think Religious People Are Slightly Strange?

Yes of course religious folk are weird and most should be sectioned

IMO, most religious folk don't really believe a lot of what they understand about their own religion. I think most are simply in religion for the warm fuzzy feelings and because they enjoy the activities that their church, etc, has to offer. I don't think they are necessarily weird for that and most certainly should not be sectioned. But yes, there are those who really believe the fiction/mythology, and some of theology derived from that, that should be kept an eye on.

IMO, most religious folk don't really believe a lot of what they understand about their own religion. I think most are simply in religion for the warm fuzzy feelings and because they enjoy the activities that their church, etc, has to offer. I don't think they are necessarily weird for that and most certainly should not be sectioned. But yes, there are those who really believe the fiction/mythology, and some of theology derived from that, that should be kept an eye on.
Once again, who's going to keep an eye on them. Isn't that the theme of 1984?. Would you llike a bureau of atheists compiled to make sure we don't indoctrinate our grandchildren in the ten commandments. I have a problem. My five grandkids actually like coming to church. Don't know why, I certainly wasn't passionate about it myself, but then again I was born in Sheffield, where the only ones who went to church were either old or Irish. Maybe they just feel safe and like being welcomed.

Most weekends. Sandals are the perfered choice of Jesus types yes. I have yet to see Jesus merchants dressed like Ali G.

Perhaps if it bothers you you ought to try and avod sitting with them in pubs unless of course they are your friends.

If all sandal wearers are religious what is the preferred footwear of athiests then?

---------- Post added 15-01-2013 at 07:56 ----------

Unfortunately because of the snow,i decided not go out in my sandals,i thought it may look slightly strange so wore boots instead.

Do you think your change of footwear will affect what you believe?

Yes but religions attract and prey on vulnerable people who need protecting, religions often easily manipulate weak minded but good people into commiting evil acts.

Once again, who's going to keep an eye on them. Isn't that the theme of 1984?. Would you llike a bureau of atheists compiled to make sure we don't indoctrinate our grandchildren in the ten commandments.

Buck, I think you misunderstand what I was saying. I'll try to clarify for you:

In response to a post by Green Web who thinks religious people are weird(no exceptions made) and most should be sectioned, I was saying that most are not necessarily weird(even if some of their beliefs are unfounded) and that most should not be sectioned.

I believe that most are in religion for the warm fuzzy feelings and the activities provided by their local church(flower arranging, cake baking contests, jumble sales, singing, etc). I also suspect that most understand little about their religion and what they do understand they don't always really believe as true(most don't really believe that wafers literally turn into the flesh of Jesus when swallowed(as Catholics supposedly do) and I suspect that most - especially those who have given their religion some thought - don't really believe numerous other theological claims and fictions/mythologies in or derived from their bible. I could be wrong here but, given the talks I've had with religious peeps, that seems to be the general trend.

There are those who are religious who sincerely believe the fictions/mythology within their holy books who are extremely hostile towards anything or anyone who contradicts those beliefs. People - atheist or theist(including those who are moderately religious) - should all be concerned about those types.

---------- Post added 15-01-2013 at 13:29 ----------

Do you think your change of footwear will affect what you believe?

Not sure about what Janie thinks but if it's warm outside and I have faith that wearing thick warm boots will keep my feet cold, then my faith will be destroyed along with those beliefs and I'd change my footwear to match my evidence based beliefs. :D

Not sure about what Janie thinks but if it's warm outside and I have faith that wearing thick warm boots will keep my feet cold, then my faith will be destroyed along with those beliefs and I'd change my footwear to match my evidence based beliefs. :D

I think, bearing in mind the OP's assertions, that if religious people wear sandals, then obviously they have a strong enough faith to not notice the cold in this weather

Buck, I think you misunderstand what I was saying. I'll try to clarify for you:

In response to a post by Green Web who thinks religious people are weird(no exceptions made) and most should be sectioned, I was saying that most are not necessarily weird(even if some of their beliefs are unfounded) and that most should not be sectioned.

I believe that most are in religion for the warm fuzzy feelings and the activities provided by their local church(flower arranging, cake baking contests, jumble sales, singing, etc). I also suspect that most understand little about their religion and what they do understand they don't always really believe as true(most don't really believe that wafers literally turn into the flesh of Jesus when swallowed(as Catholics supposedly do) and I suspect that most - especially those who have given their religion some thought - don't really believe numerous other theological claims and fictions/mythologies in or derived from their bible. I could be wrong here but, given the talks I've had with religious peeps, that seems to be the general trend.

There are those who are religious who sincerely believe the fictions/mythology within their holy books who are extremely hostile towards anything or anyone who contradicts those beliefs. People - atheist or theist(including those who are moderately religious) - should all be concerned about those types.

---------- Post added 15-01-2013 at 13:29 ----------

I would say that what you're saying about warm fuzzy feelings, and only basic belief are mostly true. When I lost my wife in a car crash, whatever faith I had died on the vine. I remarried later to my Irish Catholic wife, who would take her two sons faithfully to church Sunday morning while my son and I loafed on in our beds. Today I go with her some Sundays to the Episcopal church, where people are friendly, likeable and sociable. The coffee and cookies afterward are free. There's no evangelism and it passes an hour before I go to the pub to watch the Patriots play. Now tell me an atheist who's happier than that. If their joy comes from bullying the faithful I want no party of it.

Any of you atheists or non believers got the guts to tell her she's delusional or slightly strange?

She isn't "slightly strange" just by default of believing in a God. However, getting comfort from a belief does not make that a truth.

I could even go as far to argue that I find it incredible to tell someone who has had her husband murdered that God loves her and cares for her.

Archived