Do You Think Religious People Are Slightly Strange?

Alan Greaves' widow recently said that her faith was an enormous comfort to her right now.

Any of you atheists or non believers got the guts to tell her she's delusional or slightly strange?

Top post. Some would apparently have her sectioned and/or call her stupid. And I don't think any religion is "the truth" (although some would) that's why it's called the Christian "faith" not the christian fact or science.

Top post.

It isn't. It's emotive and nonsensical. The question is "has anyone got enough bad taste to question the beliefs of a grieving woman?".

The answer is no, or I should hope most people's answers would be no. It would be in very bad form to do so. That doesn't make anything she believes in true.

It's equally valid that I would hope most religious people don't have enough to bad taste to tell a grieving atheist that their husband is "with God" now.

It isn't. It's emotive and nonsensical. The question is "has anyone got enough bad taste to question the beliefs of a grieving woman?".

The answer is no, or I should hope most people's answers would be no. It would be in very bad form to do so. That doesn't make anything she believes in true.

It's equally valid that I would hope most religious people don't have enough to bad taste to tell a grieving atheist that their husband is "with God" now.

I'd agree with pretty much everything you've said (look folks, common ground) apart from the very first bit ;).

But it doesn't make it a lie either. Atheists think they have the truth on their side, without anything to prove it. She has faith. It keeps her husband alive for her. Why do atheists concern themselves about what she believes. None of the stories about religious war and atrocities concern her. Have all the non believers never been part of evil. I could quote you a few. Too many to list here. In any case what would be the point. Atheists don't grieve except to curse God for it.

But it doesn't make it a lie either.

I never said it did. The existence of any God or afterlife is still very firmly unproven.

Atheists think they have the truth on their side

I could equally say the same of religion.

She has faith. It keeps her husband alive for her.

No, her husband is dead. No faith can turn that backwards, sadly.

Why do atheists concern themselves about what she believes.

Personally, it doesn't concern me. I have the right to question it though, and doing so is not bullying.

I have said this before, but I know religious people in real life. I wouldn't walk in their church on Sunday morning and call them names. Equally, in casual conversation I wouldn't drop in my view that God doesn't exist. If, however, they discuss their belief and I discuss my lack of belief with them then I am doing nothing wrong.

I have a sibling. Our parents were both very active in the Church, and we were both brought along every Sunday, and we both went to Sunday School and we both joined a youth organisation whose motto included "the advancement of Christ's Kingdom".

Fast forward to present day. I am still a believer. My sibling is very much atheist, or at the least agnostic.

Can someone explain how I was unlucky enough to be "indoctrinated" whereas my sibling was fortunate enough to escape?

In terms of every day life, I have no burning desire to convert everyone to my faith, or to tell them that Jesus loves them and can save them from their Sin's etc. but equally I do not hide my faith either. If they want to know more about my religion they will ask me. If they don't ask me I assume they don't want to know.

Why can't we all just get along?

I would say that what you're saying about warm fuzzy feelings, and only basic belief are mostly true... Today I go with her some Sundays to the Episcopal church, where people are friendly, likeable and sociable.

That friendly, likeable and sociable aspect of like minded people coming together is all part of that warm fuzzy package. Atheists also get that from whatever social activities they take part in(atheist/humanist meetups or sociable sports and hobbies).

Atheists aren't criticising that aspect of religion. What many of us do criticise is the religious who go beyond that social aspect of it and - whether through politics, violence or education - try to enforce their non-evidence based beliefs on the rest of society.

The coffee and cookies afterward are free.

Only if you don't put any money on the collection plate.

There's no evangelism and it passes an hour before I go to the pub to watch the Patriots play. Now tell me an atheist who's happier than that.

I'm sure atheists who take part in social activities they enjoy are just as happy as theists who take part in social activities that they enjoy.

I never said it did. The existence of any God or afterlife is still very firmly unproven.

I could equally say the same of religion.

No, her husband is dead. No faith can turn that backwards, sadly.

Personally, it doesn't concern me. I have the right to question it though, and doing so is not bullying.

I have said this before, but I know religious people in real life. I wouldn't walk in their church on Sunday morning and call them names. Equally, in casual conversation I wouldn't drop in my view that God doesn't exist. If, however, they discuss their belief and I discuss my lack of belief with them then I am doing nothing wrong.

I doubt if the after life will ever be proven any more than the lack of one. Her husband is dead, you're right, but I went through a time when I felt my wife's presence. Foolish of course, but grief does strange things to people for a time. Have you had grief? I ask this with no intent to argue, just to wonder how you coped with it. You certainly have a right to question, I have had no quarrel with you at all. But there are certain posters on here who are more aggressive than they need to be. They can argue as you do without resorting to verbal abuse on either side of the argument.

---------- Post added 15-01-2013 at 18:44 ----------

That friendly, likeable and sociable aspect of like minded people coming together is all part of that warm fuzzy package. Atheists also get that from whatever social activities they take part in(atheist/humanist meetups or sociable sports and hobbies).

Atheists aren't criticising that aspect of religion. What many of us do criticise is the religious who go beyond that social aspect of it and - whether through politics, violence or education - try to enforce their non-evidence based beliefs on the rest of society.

Only if you don't put any money on the collection plate.

I'm sure atheists who take part in social activities they enjoy are just as happy as theists who take part in social activities that they enjoy.

Not if they don't get to watch the Patriots play, they don't. I watched ManU as well. I don't mind the twenty bucks a month I put in the plate. It's cold this time of year, and it would cost me a lot more if the grandkids got pneumonia.

Archived