Does our benefits system encourage people to lie?

Does our benefits system encourage people to lie?  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Does our benefits system encourage people to lie?

I think in cases like this the problem is more about the family not keeping the authorities informed of his change of circumstances. When someone is getting benefits, they agree to inform the benefits agency/council etc immediately if their circumstances change. It doesn't look like he did this soon enough. He was probably still eligible for some housing benefit, but why wait til the bailiffs come before doing anything about it! They'd have been given warning that there was a problem with the rent.

A family with a child and a pregnant woman would normally be offered temporary accommodation whilst their case was being investigated.

As the report is a year old, and there are no later stories about the baby having to be born in the car, we have to assume they got rehoused. This is one of those sensationalist stories that go nowhere.

I think in cases like this the problem is more about the family not keeping the authorities informed of his change of circumstances. When someone is getting benefits, they agree to inform the benefits agency/council etc immediately if their circumstances change. It doesn't look like he did this soon enough. He was probably still eligible for some housing benefit, but why wait til the bailiffs come before doing anything about it! They'd have been given warning that there was a problem with the rent.

A family with a child and a pregnant woman would normally be offered temporary accommodation whilst their case was being investigated.

As the report is a year old, and there are no later stories about the baby having to be born in the car, we have to assume they got rehoused. This is one of those sensationalist stories that go nowhere.

But he did keep them informed and declared his temporary work, if he'd simply worked for cash in hand then himself and his family wouldn't have been made homeless.

His entitlement is totally different to what he should've done which just shows why our benefits system encourages good people to lie.

This is just one of hundreds of cases and scenarios, if he's still too honest I very much doubt he and his family will be rehoused anywhere suitable as the council will say he made them voluntarily homeless.

the trouble is with the benefits agency when people get temp work, and the hassle it brings when dealing with ct and hb when starting and finishing a job. you would think in this day and age with computers etc that it would be a simple task just to reinstate these benefits. but going on how these places operate ill not hold my breath :hihi:

But he did keep them informed and declared his temporary work, if he'd simply worked for cash in hand then himself and his family wouldn't have been made homeless.

His entitlement is totally different to what he should've done which just shows why our benefits system encourages good people to lie.

This is just one of hundreds of cases and scenarios, if he's still too honest I very much doubt he and his family will be rehoused anywhere suitable as the council will say he made them voluntarily homeless.

Its not about honesty, its about being on the ball and telling people right away when things change. How can anyone be surprised when a bailiff arrives to evict, unless their partner has been hiding the arrears letters and possession notices. He could have got help from a variety of agencies to stop the eviction.

It was a year ago. If they haven't got a home by now, I think we'd be able to find some later reports about the case. It was reported over 2 days in Feb last year, then nothing.

Its not about honesty, its about being on the ball and telling people right away when things change. How can anyone be surprised when a bailiff arrives to evict, unless their partner has been hiding the arrears letters and possession notices. He could have got help from a variety of agencies to stop the eviction.

It was a year ago. If they haven't got a home by now, I think we'd be able to find some later reports about the case. It was reported over 2 days in Feb last year, then nothing.

It’s all about honesty.

"after declaring his work he had his housing benefits removed"

The consequences of been honest are.................

“has been left living in the back of his Vauxhall Astra because he cannot pay rent”

The soldier did everything he should have and now.............

"I wonder why I bothered signing up to protect my country if this is the way I am treated. It is ridiculous.'

"He added: 'I would have been better off not working.

'The Government wants people to stop claiming and start working. I did and it cost me my home. I did everything right and I don’t understand it.'

The DWP are supposed to be there to help and advise you when you start work, they failed and consequently he and his family was made homeless.

If the soldier and his family was on the ball he would of simply worked cash in hand or stayed unemployed, this is one of hundred scenarios why our benefits system encourages people to lie.

Another example, a friend of mine secured a full time permanent job which was to start in 6 weeks, in the mean time she had an interview lined up for a part time job, not wanting to waste their and her time she did “the right thing” and informed the employer and her advisor and cancelled the interview.

As a consequence JSA stopped = change of circumstances means Housing and Council Tax automatically stopped, reclaims but bureacracy and delays kicks in, rent isn’t paid, landlord isn't happy and she's homeless.

I could go on and give you various other examples where people have done the right thing and been shafted....

Archived