First Bus Company need to learn how to run a bus service

Guest busdriver1
Yes but why is it out of service? I may be the only one on here but sometimes I dont believe them.

there are two reasons why the bus could be out of service.

1 the bus is returning to depot as the service level at that time reduces.

2 the bus has been adjusted in order to get back on time.

These are both legitimate reasons, except in Sheffield where buses should run "on demand" :roll:

---------- Post added 14-01-2013 at 15:05 ----------

And for the OP, every 48 bus that pulled in was pulling out as a 47, so you were looking at the 48 timetable which shouldn't be on that stop. You needed to get a 47 pulling in to be getting onto a 48 at departure.

No, all buses should run 20 seconds after the OP arrives at the bus stop no matter what time they get there. This removes the complex task of reading a timetable.

---------- Post added 14-01-2013 at 15:06 ----------

Yes but why is it out of service? I may be the only one on here but sometimes I dont believe them.

Quite right - they are doing it to leave you stranded :roll:

there are two reasons why the bus could be out of service.

1 the bus is returning to depot as the service level at that time reduces.

2 the bus has been adjusted in order to get back on time.

These are both legitimate reasons, except in Sheffield where buses should run "on demand" :roll:

---------- Post added 14-01-2013 at 15:05 ----------

No, all buses should run 20 seconds after the OP arrives at the bus stop no matter what time they get there. This removes the complex task of reading a timetable.

---------- Post added 14-01-2013 at 15:06 ----------

Quite right - they are doing it to leave you stranded :roll:

So why are they "2 the bus has been adjusted in order to get back on time." So because they are late they take a bus off service thats really is a great idea not!

As for another coment about bus being really late and the driver saying its not my fault but the bus in front. I also have another famous quote to add. Passenger "Is there a bus missing" Driver "I dont know I just got on here" Is the reply I always get.

There probably are a number of buses arriving at termini at that time of the evening that then run back empty to the garage (hence showing "out of service", as the evening service isn't as often as the daytime service), and the time that he runs back empty to the garage obviously wouldn't be shown on a timetable (as it's irrelevant to the public).

Not sure I see your point here?

"Termini"?! is that plural of terminus then?

First have never seemed to be get the 47 or 48 bus time tables reliable,when we had the 28 an 43 they were more reliable,from Herdings to Town,but the 47 an 48 to Shiregreen there are to many one lane roads on the way an back to an from Shiregreen but the First Bus Company do not seem to think about that,just look at the bottom of the Moor all the time theres always loads of people queing for the 47 or 48 to come,an sometimes 2 or 3 buses at the same time,but you complain an they still do not do anything about improving this service

Totally agree, crap service seams to be getting worse, then go up crookes and uve got three 52,s following each other with an Handfull on each bus. When you say something to the driver all you get is abuse from them.

It's not the bus drivers fault though really. It's easy to have a go at them because they're wearing a uniform and they're driving the bus that wasn't on time.

But really it's the management of the buses. I highly doubt that drivers purposefully drive around like a slug just to make you late for your journey so I'd never have a go at them.

But the company just isn't doing anything about it and the only 47/48s that actually keep to timetable in my experience are the ones early on Sunday morning.

The timetable is useless, the YourNextBus service is worse than useless yet First wont do anything about it because they've got a lot of people over a barrel for whom there are no realistic alternatives which is why I think SYPTE needs to get involved.

I'm in a lucky position on the valley where I can see buses come down at the top of Herdings about a mile away, so I can sit on the sofa in the room until I see it out of the window and it's just coming around the corner by the time I've left the house and got to the stop.

I think the reason there are so many bus driver bashing threads like this one is the lack of transparency about how our bus services opperate. There is never an explanation as to why a bus is late or even disappears. Its frustrating for the passenger when they are waiting and the bus never turns up. They ask the bus driver who must communicate with his fellow work colleagues who will give a snort of derision that you have even asked such a question. At best he will respond I dont know I just got here. There is never an investigation as to why.

Where do all these late and missing busses go?

I think the reason there are so many bus driver bashing threads like this one is the lack of transparency about how our bus services opperate. There is never an explanation as to why a bus is late or even disappears. Its frustrating for the passenger when they are waiting and the bus never turns up. They ask the bus driver who must communicate with his fellow work colleagues who will give a snort of derision that you have even asked such a question. At best he will respond I dont know I just got here. There is never an investigation as to why.

Where do all these late and missing busses go?

The problem is that most drivers won't know how the bus ahead is doing or how the bus behind is doing (unless in exceptional circumstances)

Archived