Shabby First buses in Sheffield.

Take your head out of Souters arse. First have had heaters upstairs for years.

I must have had bad luck then with getting on buses with broken heating.... Always found upstairs freezing cold whenever I've got on a 53 or 98 bus (normally either an ALX400 or ex London President).

The usual "lets demonise bus passengers as sub-human" thread, yet the same people making such comments are usually up in arms when the bus company propose withdrawing a lightly used service (and demand that Something Must Be Done).

Not me. I'd love it if they got rid of the lot.

I've noticed First seem to get the sub-standard drivers as well.

I regularly see First drivers pulling out on people and barging their way through when there is only room for one vehicle(especially on Birley Spa lane)

When I use their buses the drivers are often miserable as well.

The Stage coach drivers however are professional and pleasant.

Any one else noticed this

I assume it is down to training.

Talking of dreadful buses:-

I can remember back in the seventies, when the predecessor to First/ Mainline (South Yorkshire Transport) bought some smart new Volvo Van-Hool buses.

It was a nightmare as the VVH's didn't "do" gradients... they had nervous breakdowns at the idea of climbing the hills round here.

As I understand it, they were decanted to Doncaster, which was flatter.

Talking of dreadful buses:-

I can remember back in the seventies, when the predecessor to First/ Mainline (South Yorkshire Transport) bought some smart new Volvo Van-Hool buses.

It was a nightmare as the VVH's didn't "do" gradients... they had nervous breakdowns at the idea of climbing the hills round here.

As I understand it, they were decanted to Doncaster, which was flatter.

A lot of the rejects FSY get now have never seen a hill in their life... so nothing has changed ;)

Guest busdriver1
A lot of the rejects FSY get now have never seen a hill in their life... so nothing has changed ;)

Despite the opinions of several on here the hills in Sheffield are no steeper than many other cities and in some cases much more lenient.

Fascinating to learn that London and Leeds have no hills (unless you know that First are secretly importing buses from Amsterdam?)

---------- Post added 16-01-2013 at 15:00 ----------

Despite the opinions of several on here the hills in Sheffield are no steeper than many other cities and in some cases much more lenient.

It's all part of the mythology of Sheffield - the idea that our geography makes us unique - mainly spouted by people who've never lived in other cities.

Fascinating to learn that London and Leeds have no hills (unless you know that First are secretly importing buses from Amsterdam?)

---------- Post added 16-01-2013 at 15:00 ----------

It's all part of the mythology of Sheffield - the idea that our geography makes us unique - mainly spouted by people who've never lived in other cities.

I do not think there are many cities with such hills.possibly Bradford,Bristol and Bath:not Derby ,York and Portsmouth.Outside UK you can include San Fransisco and La Paz,and the ultimate,Denver at 5280'.

Archived