Does the fish man still come around the pubs?

craglands

• 3 years later...
Does anyone remember the guy who used to carry a big rubber lobster in his basket?

When anyone asked "Do you have crabs?" he would shake the lobster in their face and say "No, but I've got one of these!".

Classic :hihi:

-------------------

That shrimp mans name was Kershaw he use to call in Grimesthorpe

Club at w/ends, we use to tease him and ask him for pork dripping. :hihi:

I've never seen anyone going round these days.

The fish man that visited the pubs I frequented in the 80s was called Tommy, looked a bit like Bobby Nut though. Not seen him for years.

Don't know about 'Bobby Knutt'. but a bloke named Carl used to sell shellfish in town centre pubs, late '60s, looked like actor Deryck Guyler and had a Ford Cortina and a day job in the Castle Market . Not the most nicest of a 'salesman', in fact a most ''pushy bloke' and only selling cockles and whelks at that !

Edited by stpetre
Add

Used to go round with my uncle sure the company was Kershaws. Anyway me and my cousin used to sit in the back of his van whilst he went round doing the selling. We didn't last long as whilst he was selling we were eating his stock :). Although it was around 50 years ago I can still remember how chewy and rubbery the whelks were, never tried them since. However it did start my love of cockles which I still look forward to eating nowadays

Vinnie is a neighbour of mine, he lives in Westfield. Vinnie still keeps his hand in as a major retailer of enamelled badges.

And he sometimes pops in the Queen at Mosboro traffic lights for a pint. Also saw him at the lane about a month ago selling football badges.