Yet another war we get involved in

I'm no fan of islamist terrorist nutters and the sooner they are all dead the better but do we really need to get involved in every war against them going?

It's obvious why the West has to attack them militarily now. They seek to take over land where the host states are weak, such as in Somalia and Mali. When they have established themselves they can then start to plan attacks on the West as the Taliban did from Afghanistan. Attacking them now prevents terrorist attacks over here in future and helps build strong states in Africa where they can't thrive. Mali has admitted other African states don't have the strength to take on the Islamists and asked France to go in.

I think the protagonists(main characters)are the militant Islamists.To describe them as nutters makes you look ignorant,when there are more accurate ways to describe them-perhaps you are more comfortable with tabloid speak?

Hate-filled, violent rapists ? Thugs ? Criminals ?Perhaps you prefer misunderstood or freedom fighters, overly religious maybe.

I'll settle for terrorist nutters.

It's obvious why the West has to attack them militarily now. They seek to take over land where the host states are weak, such as in Somalia and Mali. When they have established themselves they can then start to plan attacks on the West as the Taliban did from Afghanistan. Attacking them now prevents terrorist attacks over here in future and helps build strong states in Africa where they can't thrive. Mali has admitted other African states don't have the strength to take on the Islamists and asked France to go in.

Of course I understand why this is needed, but I guess what I meant was why do we need to be using our globemasters rather than the US using theirs? France are doing the running as it's their ex-colony as we have done many times before with ours, fair play to them, but why are we rather than the US providing the logistical support?

Of course I understand why this is needed, but I guess what I meant was why do we need to be using our globemasters rather than the US using theirs? France are doing the running as it's their ex-colony as we have done many times before with ours, fair play to them, but why are we rather than the US providing the logistical support?

Because of our special relationship with France?

Could be that we're just closer to France, and France has jumped the gun a bit. As I understand it the international community was planning on getting involved in the summer and France decided it couldn't wait.

Edit - I think it also be more of an EU thing as well.

France is doing the running because the Malians asked them to. We have far more experience in Africa than the USA has. I'm trying to recall a major US intervention in Africa since they got chased out of Somalia 20 years ago. The US is still bogged down in Afghanistan and having trouble getting out of there. After Bush's foreign disasters I don't blame Obama for being reluctant to get bogged down elsewhere especially when European states with far more experience of Africa can do all the work. The USA can't do everything anyway and with their economic woes wouldn't want to run up another large bill overseas.

This is the french bombing an Ammo depot yesterday...

French Jet Annihilates Rebel Ammunition Depot In Mali

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=79e_1358103451

They also bombed a convoy of 30 cars and trucks killing over a 100 militants.

So the Islamist`s in Libya,Tunisia,Syria and Egypt are all freedom fighters but the Islamist`s in Mali are terrorists.

Archived