Did You Live In Shiregreen?

zoboz111

Hi, I'm looking for a couple of guys my friends and I went on Holiday to Majorca and Benidorm with in 1989 and 1990. Their names were Jonathan Paidge (Podge) Who im pretty sure stayed on Bellhouse Road (number 493 or something close), and Dave Barker who stayed on Pair tree road (I think it was number 1). If anyone could tell me if they know them or have any way in getting in contact with them could they please let me know. Would love to meet up with them for a few beers and a good laugh.

Don't worry about Shiregreen going downhill..it's been like that for the last 100 years...Shiregreen once had a thriving farming history but that came to an end..Then there was the cutlery trade, there were many "knife and fork" manufactures in the area and they all disapeared..When I was born in 1939 Shiregreen went through all sorts of changes with the start of "world war 2",

parks and gardens and any spare land was dug up to produce veg'ies and "Airaid shelters" were built all over the place, along with "static water tanks" and gun and searchlight emplacements.the place looked a mess..Many houses and walls were dawb'd with signs depicting where a "ladder" or "Sterrup pump" or "First aid" could be found..and all the iron railings in the area were cut down for scrap...But after the war ( I know uncle Albert again)

Shiregreen started to get back on it's feet again, some buildings were pulled down and new ones erected..Concord park became one of the best sporting places in the North of England, with about 20 football pitches.. 6 or so Cricket

pitches..1 Rugby pitch..A load of Tennis Courts and 2 Top class bowling greens..A Putting green, and a giant "Draught board"..Plus a 9 hole golf course.

I grew up in this area and I loved it, and I still do..The best thing is the Community, Everybody knows everybody, From Hartly brook to Firth Park, From Longley park to Wincobank...If you want to know about this unique area of Sheffield Just read the books and view the photo's by "Bryan Woodriff" entitled (Shire Green, Wincobank & Ecclesfield, Memories) ..Shiregreen will get better again, just wait and see.

I too was born 1939 lived at Hartley Brook Avenue and went to Hartley Brook School. Think I now see someone born on Keppel, will ask her. My mum lived on Shiregreen up to her death only a few years ago. When growing up it was wonderful, all those fields, as an only child for 9 years I used to go on the fields on my own knowing there would be someone I could play with. Would not go there on my own now. For the last few years of Mum's life I used to dread walking down her street and looking at all the mess, she lived at the side of the path to the fields and the number of cans and bottles I used to clear up. Good job mum could not get out unaided in later life it would have distressed her. Can you remember the goats that were tethered on the fields?

I went to shiregreen school, left in 68, lived on corner of Bracken rd, Wincobank ave, the estate was very good back then, people looked out for each other, had a quick run through when I have been back to UK, almost didn't recognise it, I remember the brickyard on wincobank ave, there was a small court yard with a few houses & a little shop round it, one of my brothers accidently set himself on fire in the court yard (he was smoking fags when he shouldn't have been) one of the residents rushed to his aid, when they knocked them down they built the flats that I presume are still there next to what was the roman ridge pub, saw that being built (now demolished) , the doctor was Dr williams on Bluebell, you couldn't make an appointment then you just had to go and queue up, I went to aunt sally's dance classes which was held in the church hall, I didn't go for long as couldn't afford the tap shoes some of the girls I went to school with where shirley walker, lindsay myers, marina ogden, pat allan, peggy & paul hudson, susan longford, (next door neighbour) linda mellor, gloria willis, janet senior, katherine cutting, to name but a few, if anyone knows these tell them to get in touch, as would be great to reminise some more, now I now live in Mallorca between Magaluff & Santa Ponsa, have done for the last eight years, speaking of Mallorca is anyone thinking of Holidaying there this year, my brother also has an apartment right on the beach he lets in Magaluff. I'm sorry if I am going on a bit but it is great to look back,if anyone remembers, my name as was (Sue Haddon) now Jackson

i know this thread is a few years old,but i came across it by accident and have found it really interesting to read,most of the names you mentioned ring bells with me,i also went shiregreen school and then onto hinde house when it closed.i am probably a couple of years younger than you because you mentioned janet senior,she is my older sister,i will tell her that you have mentioned her and she will probably want to get in touch if that's ok,thanks for the memories,hopefully janet will be in touch

hi did you know the codds,,,harry,,,
my family lived on beck rd from 1962 and harry codd was my best mate from school until he joined the army bout 1974.he still lives in the same house on deep lane left to him by his late father. he had a brother steve who i think has recently also passed away. he used to be a postman. my parents moved out in 2002 to get away from the lowlifes who were making their lives hell. i have worked on the estate a lot in the past 2 years and it has declined, but probably no more than elsewhere.

my family lived on beck rd from 1962 and harry codd was my best mate from school until he joined the army bout 1974.he still lives in the same house on deep lane left to him by his late father. he had a brother steve who i think has recently also passed away. he used to be a postman. my parents moved out in 2002 to get away from the lowlifes who were making their lives hell. i have worked on the estate a lot in the past 2 years and it has declined, but probably no more than elsewhere.
hi i went to school with harry st patrics and st peters...im mick brewster

Hi,there to Lisaem and Tara,i used to live at 37,Hartley brook rd.,a family named Briggs lived at 39.I knew a Joan Bennett,and i think they were at 23 or 19,had a brother named Sterndale.Mind you i'm going back a few years,as we moved to 308, Bellhouse rd.just before the war ended.Other family names at that end i recall were Gerards,Bennets(different one)Hampshires,Ravenols?,Bakers,Needems,Frosts,Bowsers(peter was my mate), Williamsons,Hudsons,Coolies and Glynis Bratberry?? at the corner of Molineux rd.(my sister was born at number 37.all the best,hope to hear from anyone who knows any of the above.eightlegger.

With regard to one name mentioned, Hudson. Going back to the post war period, my Grandfather Daniel Webb (who had the Newsagents at the top of the hill near the working mens club on Bellhouse road) was good friends with a Dr Hudson, they were both avid pidgeon fanciers. I dont know if this is of the same family name of Hudson that you mention.

Hi,there,eagleweb,would that be the Dr Hudson that lived on Bellhouse across from Deep lane? if so, my brother and i used to be pals with his son.(can't for the life of me remember his name).The dr.drove a rover at one time,in fact my mother worked for him,for a little while,until we moved to Parson cross from the lower end of Shiregreen.Happy days.eightlegger.