Did You Live In Shiregreen?

zoboz111

They also had a Bull Mastive dog...I can't remember his name but he used to lick my face over the top of the gate at the side of the shop..He was an ugly looking beast but very friendly...I think they called him "Ben"

Hi Timbuck, is this the dog you're thinking of, with my dear old gran Elsie Hoskings.

hoskings032.jpg

Shaun

Having lived at Deep Lane for most of my child hood and early adult

life. Lots of fond memories, many happy times. Does anyone

remember the names Hodgetts, Hills, Murray, Cheetham, Sharrat,

Rollings, Wood, all living at the bottom of Deep Lane. Many happy

times sledging down the ravine and deep lane. The estate was

a truly great place to live when everyone kept their gardens in

peak condition. I went to Beck Road nursery and infant school

approx. 1950 (infant) then onto Hatfield House Lane left approx.

1960. My maden name was Pat Hills, my brothers were Edward and

David does anyone remember us !!! I am in touch with Linda Hodgetts.

The Headmaster at Hatfield House Lane School was Mr Whitfield,

teacher Mr Poppleton, I played in the netball team as goalkeeper,

and ran for the school. Hoping to hear from anyone with fond

memories of the period.

Having lived at Deep Lane for most of my child hood and early adult

life. Lots of fond memories, many happy times. Does anyone

remember the names Hodgetts, Hills, Murray, Cheetham, Sharrat,

Rollings, Wood, all living at the bottom of Deep Lane. Many happy

times sledging down the ravine and deep lane. The estate was

a truly great place to live when everyone kept their gardens in

peak condition. I went to Beck Road nursery and infant school

approx. 1950 (infant) then onto Hatfield House Lane left approx.

1960. My maden name was Pat Hills, my brothers were Edward and

David does anyone remember us !!! I am in touch with Linda Hodgetts.

The Headmaster at Hatfield House Lane School was Mr Whitfield,

teacher Mr Poppleton, I played in the netball team as goalkeeper,

and ran for the school. Hoping to hear from anyone with fond

memories of the period.

do you remember the two coop milk men that used to deliver milk in the early 50,s

that wound be me and my old mate charlie

Hi Janner, Rita is my mother, sadly she passed away in 1986, quite young. I am really impressed that after 60 years you still remember her. She was quite a character.

nice to meet you.

Shaun

Shaun, I was sorry to hear your Mam had passed away. This brings back memories of when I was 15/16 , we had a lot of fun together with our friends (all very innocent). I am 75 now, your Mam was probably near my age, she must have been in her early fifties when she died. As the song goes " thanks for the memories"

Jon re: basket bridge, certainly do I've spent many hours wandering over that area, there used to be a mill pond on the way to the bridge where we caught newts and frogs I often wondered what had been there previously was it a water wheel ,never found out, also found it strange that the first rail crossing had simple gates yet was the most used and faster line than the second line with the bridge,perhaps circumstances had changed from when the lines were originally laid. Peggy lane was one of my favourite paths up to the butterthwaite farm.

Writing about the basket bridge reminded me of Grange Lane station where one Summer in the early 50's our family boarded a train at this station which was only a 5 minutes walk from where we lived and travelled all the way to a small village in Suffolk by train, there were a few changes but it was a great way to travel. This was our regular Summer holiday staying with an aunt and uncle in rural Suffolk, we loved it, like stepping back in time to a much more pleasant age.

do you remember the two coop milk men that used to deliver milk in the early 50,s

that wound be me and my old mate charlie

Afraid I don't remember the two Co-Op milk men, I can remember

the milk always been there in my fathers wooden home made milk

container fixed to the wall, and also the milk checks being left. I used to help with the milk float from Grange Lane Farm, the horse and cart going up and down Deep Lane and up to Sheffield Lane Top. I also remember the Co-Op grocery shop on

Lower Shiregreen and my mothers old co-op number. These

were very happy memories for me.

I too used to go to the basket bridge and collect newts, frogs, frog spawn, sticklebacks and minnows on our way back passed the pond:thumbsup:. We also used to play Tarzan swinging across the dyke:D. The railway station has long since been closed and the track is now a footpath. I'll post some photos for you later.

Bri.

Here is a photo of what was the old line that came through Wincobank and onto the Grange Lane railway station. It has now been made into a pathway along which we walk the dogs. I do have some pics of the old Grange Lane station somewhere but at the moment I can't find them:help:. If they don't turn up I'll go along and take some more:). We used to go for day trips from Grange Lane station to Skegness, Cleethorpes and other wild erotic places:hihi:. The price in the middle to late forties was, nine shillings and sixpence. In today's money that is 47&1/2pence. I don't think you can get a bus to Firth Park these days for that much:mad:.

Bri.

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x63/beenicko/Test%202/RailwayWalk307500.jpg