Did You Live In Shiregreen?

zoboz111

Had to reply as I found out the other day, its not Val Furness but Velma Furness, and she is alive and well, my cousin was chatting to her the other day.

Wasn't it Thelma Furness???? I used to go to dance class there and we did a number of shows and once I remember going to York to do a show there... Jimmy Saville joined us on the bus!!! We went round the Castle Museum and sang Singin' in the rain to some old folks at a home. The dance place was on the road near one of the top entrances to Concord (tennis courts nearby) Park... The dance room was in the downstairs of the house... Her mom and dad used to sell crisps and pop after the class.... a lady with dark silky hair used to play the piano for us.....

Hi Everyone

I was born and brought up on Jenkin Rd, We lived at the very top of Jenkin before the bungalows were built opposite. The views were fantastic,We played by the reservoir and on the gun turrets, watching the tip fires under the ground surface - long before Sandstone estate was built. I too went to Velma Furness School of Dancing. Apart from that damn hill, no complaints from me - I loved my childhood at Shiregreen!

Hi Beenicko

Thanks for the photographs, the view from Grange Lane - the old

station house is where Mr & Mrs Lickorish lived with their son Terry.

I spent many a happy hour at the house.

The building which states 'Seaton Park Building' is that the old

Cintride works at the bottom of Bellhouse Road !!

The station looks in a grim state now, it was good in it's hey day

with trips to the coast.

Hi Fast, yes that is the old Cintride building. I can't remember the old station being a house. There is, what appears may have been a house, a building at the other side of the track.

If there are any other places that you, or anyone else, would like to see, let me know and I will go and take some pics for you.

Bri.

Hi Beenicko,

I did think that it would be the old Cintride works, we lived

opposite there when it was a thriving business, with all the

top cars parked in the car park.

Re: Station House yes it was certainly a house the signalman

(Mr Lickorish) lived there for many years.

What has happened to Arthur Lee & Sons, I worked there in

their Purchasing Department for 10 years, is it still on the go !!

Also my father worked in the cold rolling mills until he retired.

Hi Beenicko,

I did think that it would be the old Cintride works, we lived

opposite there when it was a thriving business, with all the

top cars parked in the car park.

Re: Station House yes it was certainly a house the signalman

(Mr Lickorish) lived there for many years.

What has happened to Arthur Lee & Sons, I worked there in

their Purchasing Department for 10 years, is it still on the go !!

Also my father worked in the cold rolling mills until he retired.

i worked in the cold rolling till i was called in 1948 i had a brother worked there all his live but he was a wire drawer thy called him george and a brother called charlie

I don't recall anyone mentioning Hatfield House Lane School, everyone in Lower Shiregreen went there, every week day morning crowds of us would walk up Bellhouse Road, Sicey Avenue and then on the side roads to the back entrance of the school. It was a large school but I certainly enjoyed my time there. I was there from 1950 to 1954 The teachers I remember are Mr Senior for science a large jolly chap, Mr Sharp for metal work only had one eye, Mr Peck for woodwork, Miss Garrett for art (my favourite subject),Mr Lumsby for craft, my last form teacher was Mr Battersby he was strict but we went on some good outings with one around Kinderscout in the middle of Winter and another to York. We played all our sports on Concord park, I was in the school cross country running team and if I didn't fansy football a couple of us ran around the perimeter of the park and through Wooley wood, I think Dennis Wrag was my usual team mate. I may have got some of the names wrong but in hindsight they sure were happy times. Ted Hills

Hi Awoolen - You would have probably known my father Herbert

Hills, he retired when he was 65 and like you had worked there

all his working life. I remember him doing a shift system 6 to 2

and 2 to 10 and having just 2 weeks holiday a year in August.

He worked in the cold rolling mill and wire mill, some of his time

he spent as an overhead crane driver. When on his 2to10 shift

he called in the 'Engineers' Public House at Wincobank before

catching the 10.25pm bus home to Deep Lane. He hated working

shifts, but unfortunately in those days jobs were in short supply.

His retirement only lasted 2 years. Maybe you remember him !!

Is Arthur Lee & Sons still trading !!!