Did You Live In Shiregreen?

zoboz111

Does anyone remember where exactly IVY Cottage was or is, if it is still standing? Walk past Holly cottage nearly every day but as an artist painted a picture of Ivy Cottage from an old book in oil's. Looks good but would love to know if it still stands to compare.

On my visits back to Shiregreen I was most impressed by the magnificent views you had from the top of Bellhouse Road looking over towards Wentworth you could see Elsecar church and many of the Wentworth follies like keppels column and Hoober stand, in hindsight I realize I took all this for granted when I lived there but a vista like this would have had a very benificial effect on my outlook on life. I guess I was fortunate to have lived in such a beautiful place.

Believe it or not this was exactly the reason that I moved onto the estate, I was going through a really hard time with my ex husband and recovering from a major operation, I saw how lovely the view was and how peaceful it all seemed and I wanted to be here.

I have now lived here for 18 years and I have no plans to move away, Shiregreen is not a perfect place but its a good enough place.... I still love the view from Bellhouse rd and in spring when the Hawthorne bushes are in flower on the fields it can look really beautiful :)

Not from Shiregreen, but my grandparents lived there in the 60's on Ronksley Road, so obviously used to visit there as a kid and had many happy times there. Their 3 sons were Raymond / Keith & Alan.

Other residents i recall were Ken and Sylvia Brunt, Mrs Sares, Cragg Family. Mrs Timperly, and Bennetts, Do these name ring a bell with the older end.

Can any one remember the traffic roundabout in Firth Park in the 60's it ues dto be lit up at night with coloured lanterns around the edge. They wouldnt last 2 minutes now if they were there.

i remember when it was a tram stop got on the tram many a time and if the driver saw you running for the tram he would wait for you they were polite in them days

For Coral Water/ Mrs. Easley lived at 105 Ronksley Road so unlikely to have known people at the other end. I also remember a delightfull Irish woman who lived next door at 103 but can't recall her name but was she a character.

Ted Hills

Does anyone remember the youth club at St. Christophers around the early '60's I was very much involved with the running of it and will treasure for as long as I live the glorious times we had there. Some of the events we organized were midnight hikes into the Derbyshire dales, a youth club exchange with a similar group in Manchester, concerts with members singing, proffessionally organized plays, discussion groups in members homes, visiting old and and lonely people in their homes and much more. Great time to be growing up in.

Ted Hills

For Coral Water/ Mrs. Easley lived at 105 Ronksley Road so unlikely to have known people at the other end. I also remember a delightfull Irish woman who lived next door at 103 but can't recall her name but was she a character.

Ted Hills

my parents live on ronksley rd and knew Pam Easley, she used to take me to Beck Nursery when she was a teacher there. The lady at number 103, was Carrie Vickers and yes she was a character.

Alreet then! All you wonderful people from Shiregreen what fantastic years we had there and how I have loved reading the memories treasured by you all. We used to sing that the Joe Gould sign meant day light robbery all good fun of course he would chase us off but never refused to serve us. I remember his sister and his mother who sat on her chair behind the shop counter, and the strong smell of cats when you entered the shop. Concord Park, Wooley Wood School, Shiregreen School, Penguin, Bellhouse Club, St Christopher cubs and scouts, the Saints Club, Deep Lane leading to Grange Lane station basket bridge, railway signal lady, exploring the woods-the carpet of bluebells which bring back memories every year. The rich people of Shiregreen who had dads that worked at Shardlows. The hammers could be heard 24/7. I could go on and on but what I remember best of all was the kindness from the people of Shiregreen when we lost my dad when my brother was five. Shiregreeners were the salt of the earth.

Welcome Peno glad to have you on board nice to hear that Shiregreener's

are good people I quite agree with you, everyone helped each other. I

remember my mother baking Christmas cakes and decorating for other

neighbours, there was a real community spirit. Most of the people who

live there now have the same values as the older generation.

People with the least gave the most charity to others.:|

Anyone know what shop or shops have taken over from Smithies and the carpet shop on Hartley Brook Shops?

They`re still shut. The guy who ran the carpet shop has move to hillsborough. He did`nt get enough trade where he was.

I was born on hartley brook road in 62 and now live on renathorpe road. I love it. Ok it has it`s bad point but i`ve only had one bit of trouble a couple of years ago when i had my wheels pinched off my car.

Welcome Peno glad to have you on board nice to hear that Shiregreener's

are good people I quite agree with you, everyone helped each other. I

remember my mother baking Christmas cakes and decorating for other

neighbours, there was a real community spirit. Most of the people who

live there now have the same values as the older generation.

People with the least gave the most charity to others.:|

I think there`s still a community spirit. My mum bakes for the people who run the second hand shop and for the ladies who run gingers. She also cleans for shillitoes.