Did You Live In Shiregreen?

zoboz111

For Coral Water/ Mrs. Easley lived at 105 Ronksley Road so unlikely to have known people at the other end. I also remember a delightfull Irish woman who lived next door at 103 but can't recall her name but was she a character.

Ted Hills

Ted... I think I remember this Irish lady.."She was one of the main members of the "English and Scottish Folk Dance Club" ran by "Derick Hardwick" at St Christophers in the 50's ...If She didn't turn up on the club nights it was a dull night.

Anyone stand on the basket bridge watching the trains like me and my grandad did?

Yes jon. I used to go with my dad and my brother. I take the grand kids now. Can you remember the tip that used to be there? Me and my brother used to find allsorts on it inc gas masks from the war i guess.

Just wondered if any of you older generation knew my moms family. They`ve lived in the same house since the shiregreen was built. They were the Armitages and lived on Hartley brook road opposite perkyn terrace. They were a large family. There was my grand parents who i`ve never met as they died really young, My mum Valerie Armitage, her sisters Mary and gloria and her brothers Ray, Edric and Tony. Also when my mum Married my Dad they took over looking after he brothers and sisters. My dads name was Arnold Ellis.

If anyone remembers them let me know

For David Price, my sister (Fast Runner) and I are trying to put a face to your name, it's so frustrating as you appear to know who we are but we cannot place you.You say you knew me from Church, what was the connection: choir, servers, Sunday School or youth club. I was at some point involved with all. The people I did hang around with early on were Brian (Cherry)Williams, Doug & Michael Thompson and later Sue & Janet Ellis, Roger Storie, Alan Chittenden, Faye Longmore, Ian White,Bob Wood and Vicky Hall as well as many more I can't readily recall. I knew the vicar Philip Cawood very well but fell out big time with his successor the Rev Scott. I also worked closely with Mr. Henry Cooper when he ran a Sunday afternoon club for teenagers. Both at the time and in hindsight those were great times community spirit was well and truly vibrant loved every minute. Do let me know where you fitted in and roughly what dates we are in.

Ted Hills

ted,came across this site by accident . few more names -it was faye longmire , roger storey , ,and a few more bob and any wood , diane brooker , trevor chetwyn , john jackson , roger pinder , roland rodwell ,tony armitage , john tingle , john waterman , lynn kelsey , pat sanderson , my brother derek , - great times at the youth club , all the great bands at the saints club , gordon lister and family , the exchanges with st lukes in gt harwood [near where i now work ], trips to whirlow grange , the y c footy team and you taking cine of the games, the whelchair push for youth action , and of course the walk down the pennine way in the 'flaming june ' when england won the world cup and we listened to it stood in a river under the bridge in mal ham . ah happy days , and i still want to be a footballer when i grow up ! I,VE STILL GOT BITS OF THE OLD Y C SCRAP BOOK SO WHEN MY DTR SHOWS ME HOW TO DO IT , I'LL TRY AND PUT SOME PICCIES on who says there's no future in nostalgia alan

Chitts-Thanks for those names I've been searching my memory box for ages to put names to the people I have on my ancient cine film and you mentioned Lynn Kelsey and suddenly it all fell into place. I do remember the Pennine Way treck very well although I'm hazy on names other than Ian White and Roger Storey. Do you remember how we got to Malham by public transport buses all the way from Firth Park with several changes on the way of course. Do you remember 'stealing' a Penine Way sign somewhere over the top of Bleaklow and Ian travelling the last leg by bus to Edale. Do you know what happened to all the old crowd you mentioned as well as Sue & Janet Ellis andVicky Hall. I've also got footage of the Star Walks with YC members sloging it out. Great memories

of happy days, thanks for bringing them to life again. Ted

ted,came across this site by accident . few more names -it was faye longmire , roger storey , ,and a few more bob and any wood , diane brooker , trevor chetwyn , john jackson , roger pinder , roland rodwell ,tony armitage , john tingle , john waterman , lynn kelsey , pat sanderson , my brother derek , - great times at the youth club , all the great bands at the saints club , gordon lister and family , the exchanges with st lukes in gt harwood [near where i now work ], trips to whirlow grange , the y c footy team and you taking cine of the games, the whelchair push for youth action , and of course the walk down the pennine way in the 'flaming june ' when england won the world cup and we listened to it stood in a river under the bridge in mal ham . ah happy days , and i still want to be a footballer when i grow up ! I,VE STILL GOT BITS OF THE OLD Y C SCRAP BOOK SO WHEN MY DTR SHOWS ME HOW TO DO IT , I'LL TRY AND PUT SOME PICCIES on who says there's no future in nostalgia alan

My uncle is Tony Armitage. Could he be the one you remember?

Very probably - brother called brian - knocked me out for 3 days when we were playing football for the youth club - somehow sat on my head from a corner - big lad ! Anyone dig for old bottles on the tip behind basket bridge - used to get sixpence selling them on to someone at school , what happened to the horseshoe pub - fireman sam was the landlord and then bob clark , who sadly died young . - remember buying packers of two woodbines from goulds and then smoking them on the way home from cubs - couldn,t get them to light at first - thought you had to blow rather than suck !

Very probably - brother called brian - knocked me out for 3 days when we were playing football for the youth club - somehow sat on my head from a corner - big lad ! Anyone dig for old bottles on the tip behind basket bridge - used to get sixpence selling them on to someone at school , what happened to the horseshoe pub - fireman sam was the landlord and then bob clark , who sadly died young . - remember buying packers of two woodbines from goulds and then smoking them on the way home from cubs - couldn,t get them to light at first - thought you had to blow rather than suck !

i used to go to school bob clarke lived up the banking from me on windmill lane i often wondered what had happent to him sod loss